Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not entirely certain just how a male cockatiel lose their pearls.
Do they lose the pearl spots in a single molt at maturity? Or is it gradual process over several molts/years?

I ask because one of my birds, Benny, is a pied-pearl. We don't know exactly how old he is. He's we adopted him from the shelter. He's also handicapped.

We're assuming he's a boy because thats what the shelter said. He's very vocal & can be the loudest bird in the house when calling me. He loves to get face-to-face with me & sing. He's vocal when chowing down in the food dish.

The thing is we've had him for a year & a half. He still has all his pearls. Is Benny actually a very vocal female?

I'm going to ask the vet next visit. But what do you think?

(Thats him inthe signature)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
The pied gene slows down the rate at which male pearls lose their pearling, so it could take years. It's usually a very gradual process and can take several molts. Behaviour-wise, Benny sounds like a boy. :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I had a male pearl split pied and he didn't lose all his pearls. It's a gradual thing and they may never truly go away. Pied does that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for clearing up my gender confusion. It's nice to know that I don't have to figure out how to feminize his name.
My other cockatiel is a shelter adoption. I don't know how old he is, 6-9 years perhaps. Although he appears to a normal grey I can see ghost pearls in his wings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts