Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I adopted two baby cockatiels a few days ago who're 3 weeks and 2 days old. I have been feeding them Kaytee formula at 4-hour intervals, except from midnight to 6 am. They're usually hungry by the time I come to feed them and don't mind the schedule.

Anyways, onto the questions!

1) I have been feeding them using room-temperature water; the room they're in is ~31 degrees Celsius (88 F) and they eat it just fine. However, I've seen many sources emphasize I use 37-42 C (98-107 F) water. Is it necessary? Or now that the birds are used to it should I not change anything?

2) When do I move them to a cage? I know that when they get active and fluttery at 4 weeks I should move them to a cage in the morning (with some steamed veggies and spray millets for them to discover) and back to their makeshift brooder at bedtime. However, they are a little active and curious now! They do still sleep in the morning sometimes. Should I wait longer or start moving them to a cage now?

3) I'm keeping them, as stated, in a 30-degree Celsius room. Around what age can I move them to the normal rooms (25-27 degrees Celsius) we stay in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
It’s been so many years since I bred cockatiels! Unfortunately, I don’t remember how old they were to answer your question. I will say that they need to be fully feathered, be able to perch for extended periods and be on regular food. IE: seed, pellets, fresh food etc. Also I would be sure to keep a flat clean bottom of the new cage on the off chance that they weren’t ready.
Chances are by now, you don’t need my help! How is everything?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I should add that once in the new cage you should leave food on the floor to be sure they have access at all times. Make sure they can eat from the food cups. I’m trying to think of things...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.