Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that my 3 month old cockatiel doesn't fly very high and I can't tell if it's because he's still a baby or his previous owner had his wings clipped..when I watch him it seems like he's still learning to fly. :) Is this normal for his age?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I noticed that my 3 month old cockatiel doesn't fly very high and I can't tell if it's because he's still a baby or his previous owner had his wings clipped..when I watch him it seems like he's still learning to fly. :) Is this normal for his age?
This is normal especially since the previous owner clipped its wings.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
It sounds like his wings are clipped, but we won't know for sure unless we see a picture. Baby cockatiels start flying shortly after they leave the nest at 4 or 5 weeks of age, and by age 3 months they are skilled flyers, but only if they have had plenty of opportunity to learn. A bird with clipped wings will not have the ability to fly as well as an unclipped bird.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Can you take a picture of his wings?
I have noticed that his wings are clipped, looks like all his primary wings from what I can see on the chart..it goes half way down his wing span. Is that too much? I thought I read only a few feather are supposed to be trimmed...will they grow back if so how long does this take?
Thank You!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts