Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murray has been hormonal the past few days. About an hour ago she began to close her eyes, strain and dip her tail as she sat on my lap. I thought she must be laying an egg. But just now I had to stand up and move her momentarily and she stretched her wings and pooped! I didn’t think they could poop while passing an egg? Now she’s gone back to a normal posture and she’s preening. Any idea what’s going on?

Also, it’s been about an hour as I said. I’m getting mixed advice about how long to leave her before I assume she’s egg-bound and call the emergency vet (she just had to do this on a Sunday!)?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
She also keeps displaying mating behaviour to me - is she confused or is that something to do with it? I'm really scared. It looks like she just gave up! She's gone back to normal and she's pooped again since.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Does her bum look more rounded than usual? Females will usually get an "egg bum" when they're harboring an egg. How large are her poops? Much bigger than normal?

If you feel she's got an egg in her, I would ring the emergency vet just to be safe. I hope Murray is okay!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I know nothing about being egg bound but I do hope Murray is okay.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Are you sure she was straining and not trying to masturbate? I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's a possibility with her being hormonal.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update guys!

I put the vet on speed-dial and get everything ready to take her - but everything went back to normal! She stopped the behaviour, stopped straining to poop and her poop returned to normal size etc. She's still been hormonal, but she's eating well and went straight back to her daily routine today.

Her bum doesn't look any bigger than normal, CharVicki, and I can't feel anything. Enigma, I did wonder the same as you in retrospect. She does masturbate and it doesn't look like what she was doing yesterday, but maybe something sexual was happening to her after all. Or perhaps some variation of the nesting behaviour she's been doing in her cage. Either way it was weird and scary. This time yesterday I was so certain there was going to be an egg. I've even looked around the room to see if she sneakily laid one while I wasn't looking!

Thanks for the wishes TexTiel :) She's still super hormonal and I'm still hoping she doesn't lay this time. We'll see!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts