Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-I have a male cockatiel that i might breed in the future, he's a pearl pied and i asked his breeder what his splits her and she said whiteface cinnamon and lutino.
-I want the outcome to be whiteface pearl pied or whiteface pied either reg. or cinnamon. I don't expect the entire clutch to be this color, that would be a stretch lol, but i would like at least one or two babies to be either one of these colors, so what color female would i have to get. And believe me i mean in the future like a year or two from now lol, just curious until then =)

-and thanks in advance for your responses :D

·
Registered
716 Posts
If you bred him to a whiteface pied, whiteface split pied, pied split whiteface or grey split whiteface pied, you would have a chance at all the mutations you wanted. Also any female chicks would be pearl, and maybe cinnamon or lutino. The male chicks wouldn't be, so you'd be able to tell the gender as they grew their feathers. If you got a female who was also pearl, you could get both genders of pearl chicks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow I didn't know that... I assumed I would need a whiteface pearl pied female, I didn't know their were so many possibilities. If so I think I would get a whiteface pied female. Thanks for your response!!

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Whiteface and pied are recessive genes. A chick needs to get the gene from both parents to show the colors, so your hen would need to be at least split to those colors.

Pearl, lutino, and cinnamon are sex-linked colors. Female chicks will show the colors if they get the gene from their father and they CAN'T get the gene from their mother, so you can get females in those colors no matter what the mother looks like. Females can't be split to these colors, and you can tell whether a hen has the gene because she'll show the color if she does. With sex-linked colors males have to get the gene from both parents to show the colors. So if you want pearl males you need a pearl hen, if you want lutino males you need a lutino hen, and if you want cinnamon males you need a cinnamon hen.

With birds, males are XX and hens are XY - the opposite of humans. The sex-linked colors are carried on the X chromosome. Your male has pearl on both his X's. But do you know whether he is split to cinnamon and lutino on the same X or on different X's? Because having cinnamon lutino on one X and neither of these mutations on the other will give you different results than having cinnamon on one X and lutino on the other.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for explaining! You really explained it I a way I get it, I've read how genes get passes on before but never quite got it… thanxs again!!

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Good, I'm glad it was helpful. Just to add a little more: A female gets her X chromosome from her father and her Y from her mother. There's nothing on the Y that can offset any sex-linked colors on the X, so the baby has to display any sex-linked colors that she got from dad.

A hen gives the same X chromosome to all her sons, so if there's a sex-linked color on that X then all the sons will receive it from her. But they won't actually show the color unless they get the same sex-linked gene on the X they receive from their father. Dad has two X's, and half his chicks will receive one of them and half will receive the other.

Your male has pearl on both X's so all chicks will get the pearl gene from him and all the females will be pearl. If the mother is pearl then all the male chicks will be pearl too, and if she isn't then all the males will be split pearl. Your female chicks will also be lutino and/or cinnamon depending on which genes were on the X they got from dad. Your male chicks will be split lutino and/or cinnamon depending on which X they get from dad, and if their mother's X is carrying the same gene(s) the males will actually show the colors.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i actually get it now, pretty simple when it's understood lol =)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts