Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I wanted to pair up these two cockatiels but unfortunately it feels like they dont want to. They preen each other, even sit side by side but sometimes the male (wf) teases her to the point that she leaves the perch, they even sometimes bicker. Maybe a bondage pair.. 馃槥

Anyway, please advice me on what mutations should i pair them up with instead to get non-normal healthy offsprings. Thanks 馃檪 and yeah, when the female lutino fans her wings, I see more yellow feathers and 1 or 2 white feathers, maybe a pied lutino

Attachments

Registered
If the whiteface is a male pearl he is still molting out his pearls and hasn't reached adulthood yet. There's also the possibility he is actually a she, unless you had him DNA tested its pretty hard to tell in birds. So the root of this issue is age and sex of the suspected male.

If you're positive the pearl is a male, pair him with any other mutation except pearl to produce healthy pearl hens in the nest. Preferably, with a hen that is split whiteface as well. After he reaches age and molts his pearls.

The lutino can be paired with a split lutino cock to pass on this mutation and produce lutino mutation of both sex.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Whiteface is definitely a male since he whistles and does some head bobbing too. He's young, about 7 months and recently he shed alot. Yeah, age can be an issue that they're not completely bonding. Maybe I should give them some more time or else I'll have to pair them as you suggested.

Registered
I am very new to cockatiels, although I have had other birds most of my life. I was just curious if that was a sprig of parsley in the cage. I read that parsley was (suprisingly) very bad for cockatiels. Is that incorrect?

Registered
You aren鈥檛 supposed to breed female tiels until their at least 19 months old. How old is the female? Do you have experience hand feeding? You want to pair the tiels with splits to their mutation, not visually similar. That means you will need to know the parents mutations to know if their split.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
It's coriander not parsley. The female is about 11 months old and I won't let them breed until december.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts