Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get to know 'tiels? Have you had them in your family snce childhood? Or, like me, did you get your first cockatiel as an adult?
My first 'tiel encounter was actually kind of negative. My family had gone to visit some relatives who lived pretty far from us. They had a cockatiel in a cage, the first I'd ever seen. I asked if we could hold it (we did have parakeets at home) and they said, "No he bites." I thought, "What a boring pet. I wouldn't want one of those if all they do is sit in a cage." Sadly, I fear that is the fate of many cockatiels. People just don't spend time with them and never realize what wonderful companions they can be.
After I was living on my own, I decided to look for a companion bird. Someone suggested a cockatiel and I at first said I didn't want one of those boring birds. But I was introduced to a breeder and purchased a sweet little hen 'tiel I named "Shadrach." She taught me what wonderful friends they can be. Sadly I lost Shadrach after 5 years when she escaped and flew out my door. A moment of carelessness and she was gone.
So how did you learn about cockatiels?

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I had budgies and a lovebird before cockatiels. My solo budgie and lovebird were great birds and tamed very easy and were best friends. When my budgie died, my lovebird was so distraught without her, he followed soon after her. I got another budgie, and he didn't tame (and still isn't) and had 2 more budgies as friends for him, but they weren't tame either, and taming small birds is like pulling teeth for me (I only train bigger birds, small ones are waaaay too flighty), so I wanted something bigger. Then I found cockatiels and they are perfect for me :) I couldn't be happier with them

·
Registered
761 Posts
I never owned a bird as a child, but I have been drawn to them all my life. As a kid I was deep into ornithology and birdwatching (I know, imagine how cool I was ;)). Then one day I saw a parrot on TV and suddenly thought, hmm...

I went into it wanting a cockatoo because like a lot of people I'd met one and was entranced. Then I found out how difficult they were and what a state some end up in due to neglect, so I wanted to rescue one (as a first bird - can you imagine?!) Then over the course of four years of research I talked myself down into getting something smaller, more manageable, and hand reared as my first bird. I'd heard good things about cockatiels and they'd been suggested to me a few times, but much like you I thought of them mainly as aviary birds. How wrong! I treat my Murray the way I would treat a bigger parrot, and she is the smartest most interactive pet I have ever had :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
My first cockatiel encounter was when Billy Bob and Mabel came to live with us. I was 22 at the time, and nearly moved out of the family home. Someone had two very sweet, but not very tame tiels needing to be re-homed, and mom fell in love with them. Years after that, she got Katie, who was a very independent little thing. She loved to let herself out of the cage, but wouldn't come out if someone opened her door for her. It opened like a drawbridge, and she would flip the latch with her beak, climb down, walk out the gate, then hop of the floor and head out for her adventures. By then I'd split up with my long term, live in fiance and moved in with mom short term. Katie would let herself out, climb onto Taxi's cage and sit and chatter with whoever was sitting at the computer desk. Taxi was my very beloved canary. He would sing for hours and hours, and was probably the most cheerful person of any species I have ever met.

·
Registered
786 Posts
My first cockatiel came to me after my budgie, Sweet Pea, passed away. He was very tame and sweet. After that, I got another budgie, but no matter how long I tried, she isn't tame. She is very cage protective, and never wants out of her cage. I still wanted a bird to be a companion, and after lots of research I decided on a cockatiel. I got a lovely hand reared baby, and that was it for me- I was in love with the best little tiel you can imagine! He has since died, and I just brought home a lovely little male tiel, Milo. I think I will always have one :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Im a Kid lol I had budgies first and then I got rid of them because I was young and one of them named Joey I loved and he had a heart attack I was so sad and his friend coco was sad too so I got coco a friend and I named him Joey the second they were the same colour he got close to me but then became untame again because of coco so I got another female named her Tiki and I housed her alone and I loved her and she died a week later of just getting her and I got her from a breeder.So I got rid of Joey and Coco because they just hated me and I couldnt help having a pet that dosent like me and I did try tame Coco but he just liked his own kind more than humans.Then after I got rid of the budgies I was looking to get a lovebird then I saw a video of a cockatiel whistling it was soo cute and I said hmm Lovebird or a cockatiel and now I own Rocko and then I got Loki about 5-6 months later.I just cant believe I only own Rocko 7 months now and look how tame he is.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I don't actually remember this, but according to my parents, my first interaction with a cockatiel was at a beach condo that had one in its office. I was around 4 at the time.

They got me Sunny a few months later, because my mom has severe allergies to anything with fur and they saw how good I was with the condo office bird.

My mom also has/had two lovebirds and a budgie. I adopted my tiel girls the first and second years after I moved out for grad school. I found Roo listed by the rescue when I was looking for a bird intentionally.

Odette was so traumatized that the rescue was going to euthanize her because she would thrash around in a panic and hurt herself daily. I took her as a foster because I wanted her to have a chance, and two months later she not only trusted me but was asking me for cuddles. So, you know, there was no way she was going back at that point.

Both my girls were initially considered not adoptable because of their medical and behavioral problems. They're definitely lifelong special needs birds, but I guess that makes me glad they're with me because I have medical skills that a lot of owners don't.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've been around birds/parrots my whole life. My father bred King and Princess parrots and also finches. He bought me my first cockatoo when I was about 14. He ended up flying away with a flock of other sulphur crested cockatoos!

I've had galahs, long billed corella, white cockatoo (2) and last bird I had before getting both my tiels was a red tailed black cockatoo who I ended up returning to the breeder (very sadly) after getting divorced and couldn't have pets in the apartment I moved into. Oh, also had breeding budgies.

My partner before having these birds just thought all birds just sit in a cage and chirp. 'Fish with feathers' type of attitude. Boy has Ringo my male tiel changed his view. He+ ADORES him and they are best of buddies. Now when he sees especially parrots just in a cage getting no attention he feels for them. Ringo has REALLY opened his eyes to what I've always known!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I think my very first encounter was with my uncles cockatiel Odie, I can't remember much but I get told how he used to be.

Then my next encounter was when we went to the breeder to pick Sam up :)

Always been interested in birds though :) Bluebell the budgie was our first bird, we inherited her from an elderly relative a few years ago, which reignited my desire for a parrot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cockatiel encounters

Thank you so much for your stories! I loved reading them. I too have always been interested in birds, but I especially wanted to study wild birds in our area.I can relate to Charlotte's comment! Even as a child I was fascinated with birds, but I really didn't know much about cage birds. I live in a very small, one-room apartment or else I would have more birds. But right now, Bennie is my best bud and a single bird.

·
Registered
42 Posts
my sister had a budgie, but never had much to do with it. It sat in cage and when got let out flew up high and avoided us.

but, I was seeing someone and she had a pet tiel. it was kind of unruly, she would sit on bed with us, but never stepped up, and getting back in cage was a chore! didn't make much noise, but did chirp when leaving house in morning and knew it would be home alone for a few hours.

Made me want a little buddy, and place I was living had a no pet policy. Thought a little birdy would go mostly unnoticed. Lucky got Giz. He is so very outgoing. Anybody who comes over is his new bestie. Always flying into their shoulder and trying to snuggle in for a little head scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
When I was about 10-11 years old my spoiled older brother notorious for quick phases got a peach front Conure from a local pet store. They tamed him at the pet store and he would step up and give kisses. My brother isn't good with animals and the poor bird was named "Pyscho" because he turned mean from my brother's mistreatment. Once he got bored and moved on to his next phase he let me have Pyscho.

I loved that little colorful bird, everyone else hated him. I always loved animals and was good with them and this little bird became a new fascination of mine. I thought he was so cool, none of my friends had a bird. He picked up on all the whistles from the computer game Dogz and Catz I would play in the computer room he was in. I learned so much about birds from Pyscho and this was back before Google! (Oh so much info is available now a days!)

Unfortunately my dad hates birds (he just scoffed at Cosmo yesterday when he came over!) and it just came out that while I was at camp he was hung over one morning and Pyscho wouldn't shut up so he opened the back door and let him go. I was devastated when I got home from camp and Pyscho was gone. I'm 27 now and I was extremely upset when he told me and my SO that!

It wasn't until I was my 16th or 17th birthday my mom asked me what I wanted. Of course my response was a bird! Pyscho was my buddy and I really wanted to care for another. So we went to pet smart and the conures were $500, but there was this sweet handfed baby cockatiel for $100. They showed me in the back room how to mix up the formula and feed her then off we went with my new baby cockatiel. I named her Lola because she was too young to tell if it was a boy or a girl. Having my for sure boy Cosmo now, Lola had to be a girl be she was so quiet!

Lola was awesome and soo sweet. When her wings were still clipped I would put her in the yard and she would waddle around following me. I'm not sure how long I had her, but one day I was cleaning her cage on the porch and I opened up the door to grab a dish and she flew away. I was devastated!

I got a love bird after and he was way too crazy and frankly a dickhead. He flew into my exercise shoe once and went all the way into the toe and was so aggressive I couldn't get him out! I had to wait for him to come out on his own because he would bite. My step mom ended up getting rid of him, he wasn't Lola.

Lola left a void in my heart. I wanted a cockatiel so bad, but my family hates birds so I had to wait until I had my own place.

A couple years back I was over my brother's friend's house and he had a cockatiel named Chico. He wasn't friendly. But he was cool and would say his name, I never knew they could talk!

They thought it was funny to let the dog chase the bird. I flipped out I was ready to walk out with the bird if that dog did something to him. Chico was stressed out, so I put him on my shoulder where he was safe. I tried to put off a "your safe with me, it's okay vibe" to Chico and what do you know he starts nuzzling me under my chin! My brother's friend was shocked! "He never does that with anyone but me!" Apparently I'm a bird whisperer lol. I asked him if I could take him home (I hated how he was living and it worked with a neglected iguana before so I thought I would ask) but he said no way he loves that bird. He really did, Chico just passed away from old age and he was super upset.

I still had that void in my heart. Ever since me and my SO started dating and living together 2 1/2 years ago I have always brought up getting a cockatiel. He thought it might be a phase, but I kept asking! He then realized I was serious and never will stop asking!

So a chilly snowy day this past Janurary we stopped at a pet shop 20-30 mins away. That's where I found Cosmo. He was in a tank with a bunch of other tiels all so skittish. Cosmo was the one who started to step up for me. We got him out and the girls were so amazed because according to them "all the cockatiels are mean" and this one is stepping up for me and being so good. I got called the bird whisper and was asked to tame the other ones for them.

I couldn't leave him there with the workers so afraid and don't know how to take care of him. I asked Cosmo if he wanted to come home with me and he gave me the happiest chirp response so that was it, this is my bird, and he came home!

My boyfriend never owned a bird before so I think I spent more time "taming" my boyfriend then "taming" the bird. Lots of "please don't touch him" "don't lean in like that and be in his face he doesn't like that" don't touch the cage" "you have to be confident when you want him to step up, don't jerk your hand away, be a steady perch" and the famous "please don't yell shut up at him, it makes it worse"

After a couple months both the SO and the bird were tame lol. He actually LOVES Cosmo now. He always talks to him and gets him out. We taught Cosmo a couple tricks already he waves and puts his wings out for us. So he is always the first one to tell whoever comes over how cool our bird is. He told me the other day that whenever a bird flies in front of him when he is driving he slows down to avoid hitting them because he thinks "Cosmo!" He loves birds now haha

That's my long story about my life with birds, thanks for reading!

·
Registered
27 Posts
My first cockateil is the one i have now peekaboo. I went to the petshop in hooes of getting a budgie but they didnt have any i really liked then i saw peekaboo she was stood at the bottom of the cage peeking up and down and picking up a feather off the bottom to show me. I asked my son what he thought i should do to which he replied look mum and on top of the rabbit display was the feather she had. Needless to say i picked up the feather and the bird too. And that is also how she got her name peekaboo. She has been with us around two weeks now and has learnt to shower and take food from my hand. And just last night she sat on my finger to eat so all is going well. uploadfromtaptalk1435939813262.jpg

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts