Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for different things to try with Tybalt. I have discovered that he likes lettuce, celery, and peas, ( especially if they're dried, ) but he HATES anything sweet. Apples, even if they're dry or chopped up, are out of the question. He hates bananas as well. I also tried oranges, he didn't touch them. So fruit is out of the question, I guess.

I want to mix things up once in a while by offering him various vegetables in different ways to keep life interesting for him. So, are there any specific ones your birds are really into that I can try out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine loves cilantro and red bell peppers! Carrots are also really good shredded (I have a handheld shredder and a bag of baby carrots so Dusty and I usually snack together haha!)

My baby also likes cherries! I know they're not huge fans of fruit in general but he nibbled about half a cherry (away from the pit) that I peeled for him. He had watermelon once and ate a little but backed away from it after about a minute.

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
795 Posts
Ziggy

WOW! Your Chipper looks A LOT like our Ziggy! We got him two weeks ago and he is about 6 weeks old. So far all he will eat is RoudyBush pellets. Our other three tiels love broccoli so we're working on Ziggy.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Broccoli, carrots, silverbeet, peas and corn all chopped/shredded up fine. They love herbs too, like rosemary and oregano. Fresh grass seed picked from the garden is always a flock favourite!

·
Registered
32 Posts
My cockatiel, Princess, never had vegetables before when I got her at a year old. So she’s stubborn to say the least with eating her vegetables. The one vegetable I have found her to absolutely love is raw broccoli. She’ll chose that over her pellets sometimes. Sometimes she can’t even decide if she wants her pellets or broccoli, lol. She’ll run back and forth to her pellets and vegetable bowl until she decides.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi,
It is a matter of trying different fruit and veggies with your bird.
Like, people, they are all different. Crumbles which are pelletised, optimum blend of what is good for the bird are best but the vets say roughly 20% of the diet should be fruit and vegetables.

Broccoli seems to be one of the few vegies I can get Matey to eat.
oztiel

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can i know briefly what type of fruits and vege i can feed my teil....cause some say that avacadoes are not good for them.....is it just avacadoes or are there more of them??..ive also read that sweets is bad for them....by that did it mean sweets like chocolate....or anything basically sweet (including sweet fruits, etc...)....and when it comes to vege ive read that onions is bad for them.so does that mean for example if i kept a toy close to an onion i cant let him play with it (cause the toy will probably smell like an onion)..*I HAVE NEVER EXPERIMENTED TOYS WITH ONIONS...JUST AN ASSUMPTION*.....i need to know a bit about that too........and from what age should i be feeding them with fruits and veges...(mine is just 4-5 weeks old)......thank u

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.