Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering some good brands of food to feed my birdies. I know that on the gerbil forum I run, there's always conversations about foods and stuff.

The 2 birds that I most recently aquired were eating zupreem. Personally, I don't like pellets. It's like feeding rodents lab rocks- it's boring. Just as my fuzzy creatures have a variety of food types, I want my birds to have the same. My 2 I originally had/still have were eating 8-in-1 brand (sold by walmart) and Natures Cafe. I mixed what I had left with the zupreem, and recently I got a bit of bulk cockatiel foods from the feed store.

Is it truly "better" for them to eat pellets? The paper at the vets office said seeds shouldn't be fed as the main staple... but, that vet office also doesn't see birds... :p

Ideas and personal experience greatly welcomed! :D

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I think its all a personal choice whether to feed pellets or not some people do and others don't I give mine pellets because they love them they eat the zupreem fruit blend, I don't feed mine seeds as the main staple they only get a limited amount a day although they need seeds in there diet an all seed diet is really bad for them mine also get there veggies and other healthy foods daily I offer them fruit as well but they are not huge on the fruit they will eat little bits of it ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Birdie eats rice and noodles... and she's taught Boomer how to do so also.... but nobody else likes anything... and It's not like I cook rice and noodles everyday. I used to get a feed that had little pellets in it as well as the seeds, but Boomer and his sister (who's since passed) would never eat the pellets.

Currently when it looks like most of the food is eaten, I dump it into a cake pan and they "scratch" around in it picking for the rest of the day, then I give them more food. I do that because they do seem to eat the zupreem. Of course they all prefer the seeds. I only feed y gerbils every 3 or 4 days, so that they eat all the foods, the yummy parts, and the good for them parts... I do something similar for the birds- though it's every other day! They have one silo feeder, and then one dish. It's the dish that they leave all the shells in, so that's what I dump into the cake pan. They really seem to like scratching for their food. This happens every 2 or 3 days, though the silo is always full. (so it's not like they don't get to eat)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I would keep trying with the veggies offer them in different ways they really should be offered something other then seeds everyday, an all seed diet can cause alot of complications for them and shorten there life they should not have an unlimited supply of seeds it should only be offered in small amounts daily :)
There are lots of different foods you can try I haven't met a cockatiel yet that doesn't like to eat alot of the healthy foods we eat everyday sometimes it just takes time for them to get use to them but keep trying and you will find something they like.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I think that variety is the key with birds. I would give them new seed everyday, but measure it. Each cockatiel needs 2 tablespoons of good quality seed mix a day, so you could have 2 or three food cups with 4-5 tablespoons of seed in each.

In addition to that some kind of fresh veggies are a must each day. I get some sort of dark leafy greens like pak choy or bok choy just for the birds each week so i have something easy to grab out of the fridge for them. The other main veggies my guys get depending on how lazy i am are carrot sticks, grated carrot, raw broccoli and cooked peas.

Other good foods that should be offered regularly are cooked foods like egg, lentils, beans, wholemeal pasta and rice, and wholemeal/grain bread. I always have some rice and lentil mix in the freezer (i freeze it in ice cubes, then store in a zip lock bag) which i offer every few days. I usually cook up a batch every month.

Pellets are something that i've pretty much given up on. They're really not a big thing here in Australia (nothing like in America). I've tried two different brands: Vetafarm (Aussie) and Harrisons (US). The Harrisons was good but extremely expensive and hard to come by. I also felt like too much was being wasted and i was wasting money because of it. The Vetafarm ones i use now, but i usually just put a dish of them on the play gym for them to eat when they're out for play time. If you're offering enough variety then you shouldn't need them as the main part of the diet.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Well...they needs certain vitamins and minerals seed alone cannot provide but keep in mind pellets are processed foods and should not a main food. Mine get a good seed mix daily in one cup and pellets in the other. They seem to balance them out and eat some of each which is good but they preffer their pellets more over some cooked veggies so they get soggy. They also get a plate of cooked veggies daily and some raw stuff like parsley, sweet pepper, apple..whatever I have around. To me it's alot more important that they eat their veggies then anything else. Seed should be second and pellets third. My budgies and tiels like seed over pellets but veggies over seed which is perfect for me. Make sure they get a variety of veggies and fruits, beans, etc daily and it'll improve their healthy ALOT.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
all my birds *budgies, tiels and quaker * Eat zupreem Fruity blend - it's not boring, each shape is a differnt color/ flavor they're flavored with real fruit not sugar or fake sugar, so the banana's actually taste like banana's etc.

The only ones eating seeds are the tiels who haven't been converted yet,but they're eating anything put in thier dishes, I put Natural supreem in last night just to see if they'd eat it, and they devoured it just like the seed mixed with the zupreem fruit blend

they all get a array of vegies daily, my 4 female tiels Love whole wheat bread, they actually beg for it LOL , they love pasta noodles also when i make mac n cheese I sit a few noodles on a plate to cool off for them before i add the cheese/butter/ milk part of my mac n cheese because I know they'll b begging for my lunch LOL

they're not too fond on veggies yet but I keep sticking it in the cage, and since the budgies go and invade thier cage about mid morning, right after I've gave them all the vegies and they've done devoured thier share - I'm hoping they'll pay attention - watch the budgies devour it and realize it is actually good stuff

I am not a fan of seeds - I prefer them to get a nutrious meal, even when I'm out of veggies and by feeding them zupreem avian maintiance fruity blend(even the natrual blend) I know they're getting that

but it really is what ever the owner of the bird prefers

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I'm not close minded, and I'm up to trying new things to add to their diet. I've tried apple a few times, but they won't eat it. They seem appalled that I'd even attempt, rather it be chunks, bites, slices or pealings... they act grossed out by it! I do save some cooked pasta for them, but it's mainly Birdie who eats it. Boomer does a little. I've tried cooking up one of those Kaytee noodle things- The gal at the rescue I got Birdie from would cook those, freeze them in ice cube trays, and feed them every so often. none of mine touch it. Fresh or frozen. Maybe I just cooked mine wrong? Because I actually wouldn't eat it either... it was like stew, not soup.

I'm willing to try adding a pellet, and I was thinking of keeping up with the zupreem, or maybe trying one of those shaped fruit ones... but come on- does it REALLY taste like fruit? Has anybody actually tasted it?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Cockatiels love brocolli Earl eats it all the time he also likes boiled egg and lettuce, Little Bill likes it aswell(my budgie).
Always wash any fresh veggies and fruit. And if you give them egg keep the shell on but wash the shell aswell before serving it to them.
It will be a new thing in there cage so they will not go near it for about 10-15 minutes. Take any fresh food out before it goes off:) A cockatiel fiest. LOL!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
RitzieAnn, apple is not a bif fav (fruit acctually isn't)-I would try with things like cooked corn niblets, fresh parsley springs, sweet peas..those seem to be among the favorites- Pellets alone won't do it -Imagine if you spend your whole life eating processed cereal-yes, it's good for you, but not ALL the time. Variety is best. Also, I wanted to add- Seed is VERY important to their diet and should never be fully eliminated.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I am with Aly parsley and corn are usually a favourite mine also like carrots they devour them, you can buy a bag of frozen mixed veggies and then stem them or boil them till there cooked mine love the mixed veggies and its easy to do fruit is not really a big hit with the tiels they prefer veggies for some reason, you don't have to go with the pellets its up to you but they should definitely get veggies daily variety is really the key I couldn't imagine eating the same thing day after day for the rest of my life....lol

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I just cooked up some corn, and Boomer was the only one to eat it... and boy he decided to talk up a storm about it too! And he got it all over his face to....

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
to answer you question about if the Zupreem Fruity Blend actually tastes like fruit - Not only does it taste like it's specific fruit( banana shaped tastes like banana etc) it also smells extreamly fruity when you open the bag we bought two 20 pnd bags at a bird fair, one for my quaker ( who eats the cockatiel size so it was good we already had that kind when i decided i wanted cockatiels) and Parakeet sized for my budgies

Opened the bags up in my room - and my room smelled fruity for a several days

my birds love it - the only ones who will eat the Natrual colored ( plain old circled brown pellets - how boringLOL) are the 8 we just got - but they'll eat anything u give them and they eat it like a stray dog who hasn't eaten in days - - I don't know if they think it's their last meal or what
but i'm just glad they eat their veggies - the girls won't touch veggies at all for nothing but that doesn't stop me from giving it to them lol - they'll learn I'm more stubborn then they are :D but they do love noodles , potatoes ( cooked of course) they loved mashed potatoes and baked potatoes , they love chicken too and of course they come after me like lighting bolts when they see I've got macaroni and cheese , but I just use my finger nail and pull a small end piece off and thats all they get of mac n cheese

but when I give them plain noodles they get a whole noodle - and i love watching them eat, they get it all over thier faces and it just shows how much they truely enjoyed sharing my lunch or dinner with me - - then they wipe their beaks off on my shirt LOL

·
Registered
296 Posts
My two are on the Zupreem Fruity Blend as well. I used the Zupreem baby formula so I thought it would be wise to stick with the same brand. I got the budgie mix fist as their beaks were really small and not as hard. When they run out I will get the cockatiel mix. I love the different shapes..lol I read on their site that there is a garden mix as well, I am going to try to find that one here and mix the two. I offer a bunch of different things to them as well but they don't always eat it.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
My budgies and tiels like Zupreem Fruity Blend (budgie size) but I would rather them eat the Natural one with no coloring..oh well, they are not too into it. As long as they have some seed and eat all their veggies I'm happy.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Aly I bought the natural kind and mine wouldn't even touch it :rolleyes: they like the fruit kind as well
Spoiled brats...I made birdie cake with the other one since they didnt want to eat it like that I tricked them...:p;) I wasn't going to throw out a perfectly good bag of pellets :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, we got Kaytee Exact. It was more by weight than the zupreme colored stuff, and it was a little cheaper. I know my gerbils love Kaytee Exact (rodent formula) so I figured the birds would too...? Reno took some from my hand (without hissing) though he didn't actually eat it. He just held it in his mouth licking it.

I mixed some of it with their seeds, and put that into some of their dishes, and put the "straight" exact food into the other dishes. Birdie had her face in there- but I couldn't tell if she was eating it or playing in it. Guess I'll check tomorrow.

Also- since this is similar... :p They've got 4 feed dishes, and 2 waterers. One is a little silo, which they don't actually use too often, and the other is dish.... because Birdie likes water. That gets changed every day, and on several ocasions I've walked by to see Birdie standing in it. It's not big enough to play in, but just big enough for her to dip her toes in. (they get a dish to play in at least once a week) Any thoughts on that arrangement?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts