Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello, i just bought my baby cockatiel, Pasha, on friday and I heard there are different types of them like, pearl, cinnamon, and pied. I'm new to cockatiels, therefor I don't know much about the types of them. I forgot to ask the breeder I bought him from I paid 105 for my little man. :D
Please see him here and tell me what kind he is, thank you. <3
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac139/ashessx333/37940_412672987934_680962934_456065.jpg
and here's another picture,
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac139/ashessx333/liitttleeone.jpg

And also, to clip or not to clip?
Any opinions are appreciated.
<3

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I think I even know this one.... its a pearl pied!
BUT .... wait till someone who actually knows! Im just guessing from the MINIMAL knowledge I have in mutations.

Cip or Not. That's your personal choice. A decision only you can make taking into account room size, safety, birds abilities, if you want them to be totally dependant on you, help with training etc.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hey, welcome to the fourm and to the world of birds!

"types" are generally called "Mutations" and as you know described the birds genetic makeup of colour and patterns.

Your little man is a pearl pied :) And what a sweetie he is.

As for wing clipping, its a personal choice, but here are some pros and cons that i, personally, have found with cockatiels:

Pros to clipping:
-Makes the bird dependant on you to get around, thus making bonds stronger because the bird relies on you to get to and from somewere.
- Stops constant flying and possible injury
- Keeps the bird in your reach incase of an emergency
-It is easier to build a bond with a bird that isnt always flying away :D
- Drafts have a harder time picking up a bird if outside (a bird should NEVER EVER be taken outside without a harness/restraint or without a cage- this is VERY VERY dangerous to do and could cause you to loose your bird)- drafts can and do take birds, but not the majority who are clipped.

A CLIPPED BIRD DOESNT EQUAL SAFETY OUTSIDE WITHOUT RESTRAINTS.

Cons to clipping:
- Bird has limited flight control and could damage itself crashing into things
- You have to clip them throughout each moult= takes time, or $$$ if you pay someone else to do it
-The bird has easier access to higher points around your house
- Birds can escape easier
- Can be hard to caputre, and can be hard to train birds who have flee flight

Alot of people clip until a few years, that allows the bond to be formed and then the bird is alloud the wings to grow for whatever reason

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
The pied coloring will last forever, but if Pasha is a boy then he'll probably lose the pearl coloring (that's the marking on the wings) when he matures. If Pasha turns out to be a girl, she'll keep the pearls forever.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aw, thank you's so much! I hope it's a little girl so she'll have her pretty pearl coloring forever. I'd love it the same if it were a boy though. I get to bring him home in two weeks! He's down to two or three feedings a day. I think i'll keep him clipped, I have a blue parakeet that we don't keep clipped and he flies around my room until he feels like going back in. Thank you all for the replies!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts