Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
cockatiels
152 Posts
Could maybe either of the males actually be females??? They're in the aviary at the moment, and they found a "cave" in tarpaulin on a hutch and Pika (the whiteface pied) goes in and out. When the female goes in, he chases her out but when the male goes in Pika allows him to stay a bit more.
There is no gender role on boy to girl in who takes the main role of sitting on eggs, feeding etc. The dominant will take on the main care. Can be the female or the male. One will take on the main role and push the other away unless out feeding etc. They can be quite bossy in that way. Pika is the boy and the pied bird is the girl given preening photo.

A pearl bird will keep her pearling forever, but the boy, after first molt, will lose most or all of pearl and molt back to original colour.

If you have 2 birds nesting, one will be boy and other girl, never 2 boys. Just my knowledge after 20 years.

If you don't supply any nesting box of place, they will mate but girl won't lay unless she has the right place to lay and raise their babies.

·
Registered
720 Posts
So Pika and Bubble might not even be mated or mate?
They might still mate. It all depends on if you separate them from the others and add a nesting box. For the first time, they usually want to be in a private area. My one male (now that he has successfully raised multiple clutches) will mate my females in the big flight cage because he has already had clutches before and isn't so nervous I guess 😆

·
Registered
Whiteface Pied, Pearl Pied, Cinnamon
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
They might still mate. It all depends on if you separate them from the others and add a nesting box. For the first time, they usually want to be in a private area. My one male (now that he has successfully raised multiple clutches) will mate my females in the big flight cage because he has already had clutches before and isn't so nervous I guess 😆
Thankyou @Misstiel
Just recently, I've seen Bubble crouching next to Pika wanting to mate and he just flies away from her but he still preens her. Is there a chance he doesn't know how to, he used to live with a flock of others so I don't see how he couldn't know. Unless he's been with us too long he's forgotten.
Also just wondering, is Pika an Albino Pied and not a Whiteface Pied?

·
Registered
720 Posts
He might be too young and not know what to do or he isn't all that interested in her. I would just give them time. Do you have a box in there? Is there a lot of daylight? Are you giving them fatty or softer foods? The only way Pika would be an albino (whiteface lutino) pied, is if he was all white. Since he isn't, he is just a whiteface pied. If there is ever any grey on a cockatiel, it will automatically be pied.

·
Registered
Whiteface Pied, Pearl Pied, Cinnamon
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thankyou.
He might be too young and not know what to do or he isn't all that interested in her. I would just give them time. Do you have a box in there? Is there a lot of daylight? Are you giving them fatty or softer foods? The only way Pika would be an albino (whiteface lutino) pied, is if he was all white. Since he isn't, he is just a whiteface pied. If there is ever any grey on a cockatiel, it will automatically be pied.
Pika is old enough, he's about 3. They have a lot of daylight but not much in Pika and Bubble's "cave". I'm pretty sure he's interested because he preens her a lot, and rarely she preens him.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts