Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Whiteface Pied, Pearl Pied, Cinnamon
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Could maybe either of the males actually be females??? They're in the aviary at the moment, and they found a "cave" in tarpaulin on a hutch and Pika (the whiteface pied) goes in and out. When the female goes in, he chases her out but when the male goes in Pika allows him to stay a bit more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@Misstiel Pika is a male and the heavy/pearl pied called Bubble is a female! She has laid two eggs!

·
Registered
650 Posts
@Misstiel Pika is a male and the heavy/pearl pied called Bubble is a female! She has laid two eggs!
Oh, wow! I guess you have two females, then. 😆. It sounds like Pika and Bubble are a pair now. I would remove the cinnamon out of the cage if you want those two to nest properly. With her there, they could be very viscous to her because they are protecting their nest.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
She's OK in there with them, its quite a big aviary, and they only rarely shoo her away from that area. Its really cute to see Pika so happy! He seems to have got friendlier with everyone! 😃

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
All of the eggs are gone now. The wind blew up the tarpaulin, and the nest was uncovered and the eggs were scattered.
Also, Squeak, the cinnamon, is looking scruffy and we were wondering if she is moulting? @Misstiel

·
Registered
650 Posts
Are the cockatiels okay? Do they care that the eggs are gone? Is it spring or summer where you are? Usually, birds will molt when it is warmer. You could also try misting Squeak or putting a shallow dish of water in her cage. She might want to bathe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
@Misstiel
No, neither Bubble or Pika care that the eggs are gone! If anything, Pika's happier! I think he missed us because he was always doing the day shift!
Where we are its summer and also she seems to be losing more feathers than either of the others. From supposedly moulting, she has lost her longest tail feathers, and her longest crest feathers, even though her crest was never the longest! She has a dish of water in the aviary, and also one on the ground, not really meant for the cockatiels, but I think I've seen her using it!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Okay, that's good that they lost interest in the eggs. To me, it sounds like Squeak is molting. They will lose their longest feathers when they go through a big molt so I wouldn't worry. Just make sure to see if any of the others are not plucking her.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
@Misstiel
The others aren't plucking her, there would be no reason for them to as Bubble and Squeak were bought together, they might be sisters or just friends. Pika's fine towards here too but when she gets too close to where their nest was, he does shoo her away. He still thinks of it as a nesting site and goes in there and sways sometimes.
I think he might be looking for another nesting spot, he's been searching about the aviary. Bubble shows no interest in looking, she's probably glad they're gone. One reason we think the eggs were infertile is because Bubble might still be too young? I don't know how to know if they're young?

Squeak before and after!
Bird Cockatoo Pet supply Beak Cockatiel
Bird Beak Parrot Pet supply Bird supply

·
Registered
650 Posts
There are other reasons why they can be infertile. Is Pika mating her properly or enough? Sometimes, the males don't quite know how or the female gets ahead of him and starts laying eggs before he can fertilize them. Yes, Squeak is probably molting right now.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts