Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the moment i have a few branches for him to walk between. A hanging perch. 2 Water Bowls, A Bowl of seed. A giant ladder from the base to 3/4 up the side of the cage. A hanging 3 looped rope and as well as a white block that i hang off the side of the cage. This is like a salty/mineral block that was given to me by a family friend. They had used it with there tiels.

What other things that you have that are good to be placed in a cage for tiels? Health wise and for them to play with?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Cuttlebone and some toys. Theres a DIY toy thread in the housing and toy section of the forum where you can see examples of homemade toys, I make a lot of toys myself its cheaper than buying a lot of toys. You can also check out the Post pics of your cage thread as well to see what others have put in their cages.

Here are the links,
DIY thread, http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=242
Cage thread, http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32
You can also make foraging toys, http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=11399

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, im just trying to get lots of ideas, so Chip has the best time while he is in his cage

·
Registered
308 Posts
Fresh mixed greens and veggies every day!!
Millet spray.
Hanging treat stick of some kind. I like to buy several different flavor mixes and switch them out.
Foraging toy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a cockatiel honey seed stick in there hanging at the opposite side of the cage to the normal seed. I also have a green perch that is designed for them to chew on and is ment to help with there claws. (Those into cockatiels hopefully know what im on about)

Just put some lettuce and pumpkin into the cage and he went for the lettuce

What is millet spray?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Millet spray is a stalk of the mature dried seed of the millet plant. The stalk has tons of seed tufts on it and it's the most popular treat for birds. The stalk of seeds acts as both a food source which birds love, and also as a 'toy' of sorts. Some birds love to gnaw on the stalk and play with it. You can also sprout the seeds. Sprouting the seeds increases the nutritional value of the millet. You should be able to find it wherever bird supplies are sold.

Also, lettuce alone is not that nutritious. You might try offering carrots, broccoli, fresh snap peas, corn on the cob, squash (besides pumpkin), celery stalks, tomatoes, etc. I like to purchase a package of baby spring mix and chop it up. To that I add chopped mustard greens, chopped kale, grated radishes, and 1 fruit that I grate and mix into the salad. I like to use apple, papaya, mango, kiwi, orange, peaches or pears. I switch the fruit every time I make a salad, but put just one fruit in the mix at a time.

I offer my birds this salad every day. I also give them a cooked mix that I buy from Bird Street Bistro. You can give them cooked potatoes, rice, quinoa, pasta, oatmeal, and starches like this.

Variety is essential to good health. Birds do not do well on a seed-only diet. Seed-only diet leads to malnutrition, which rears its ugly head slowly. You don't notice it right away, but in a couple years, you'll see the bird approaching an early demise.

Gorgeous, gorgeous 'tiel, by the way. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Absolutely brilliant post.

Will put your ideas about nutrition to work and start giving it fruits and veggies
Will deffinatley go to the shop and buy this millet.

Thanks again for all the information

Also i noticed you said you feed your tiels tomatoes
On this website it says there toxic >> http://www.cockatielcottage.net/tablefoods.html

Are they good for the bird

·
Registered
308 Posts
Absolutely brilliant post.

Also i noticed you said you feed your tiels tomatoes
On this website it says there toxic >> http://www.cockatielcottage.net/tablefoods.html

Are they good for the bird
That website says that leaves and stems are toxic, not the tomato itself.

One other thing that I give my birds is egg. I crack open an egg, place the contents in a microwave-safe mug, then finely crush the washed egg shell and scramble it into the egg. I microwave it for half a minute (depends on your microwave). When it's cooked, I break it up with a fork and sprinkle it on the salad. Great way for the birds to get extra protein and calcium. I only give it once or twice a week.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Chip is a handsome little fellow! Gorgeous mutation.
I usually hang a bunch of greens such as kale and parsley and mine love munching on it. Bird stores have tons of wooden toys, mine love destroying those. Cockatiels love to chew, so make sure he has a lot of toys he can chew on.

·
Registered
308 Posts
One other thing that might be fun is a Bird Kabob. It's a stainless steel kabob rod that you can put fresh veggies on. The bird will have lots of fun chomping on the veggies.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
That website says that leaves and stems are toxic, not the tomato itself.

One other thing that I give my birds is egg. I crack open an egg, place the contents in a microwave-safe mug, then finely crush the washed egg shell and scramble it into the egg. I microwave it for half a minute (depends on your microwave). When it's cooked, I break it up with a fork and sprinkle it on the salad. Great way for the birds to get extra protein and calcium. I only give it once or twice a week.
I have been wanting to try to egg and didn't know how to go about. Great post. Thanks.

Burl3y - if your bird liked lettuce- try carrots and broccoli. Those are hits with my birds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cut up some carrot, pumpkin, lettuce, cuccumber and apple this morning and put it in a dish. He came down and looked at it but then went away. As soon i put his seed back in about 30 minutes later he ran straight to it and got straight into

Whats the best way to get him to start eating his greens?

I bring him out a lot now and have him walking around my shoulders and on my bed. He likes to try and nibble on my shirt and towel i have out. He also stretches his wings out when ever he sits on my finger. Is this natural. The breeder i got him from said this was a sign that he felt comfortable around me

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Try put some seed on top of new foods and also under it, this is what i do to get mine to try new foods :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back from the pet shop, with pellets, a new play gym, a fruit and veggie kabob, a new chew toy as well as a clicker and millet to start training him

·
Registered
308 Posts
What a lucky birdie!! Good job. Yes, stretching his wings while he's on your finger is a sign that he's really comfortable with you. If he were not comfortable, he'd keep his wings close to his body to be on guard to take evasive action if needed. So, great job!

And, wait til you see him with that veggie kabob. They like the veggies on a stick like that because it swings and is like a toy, so they'll naturally go after it to nibble it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finding it hard for him to try to eat veggies, Guess ill have to kepp putting them in each day until he tries them

·
Registered
8 Posts
I still have a hard time getting my two guys to eat anything new. I put mixed veggies and pellets along with baby food squash into their birdie bread. They will only try new things if they are being hand fed on my shoulder. Gave them cheerios on their tray and they wouldn't touch it. Put some in my hand when they were out with me and they gobbled it up. I found out with my Quaker to never give up, it could be several months and all of the sudden they will eat the good stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts