Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I just put a silver bowl in buttercup and Darlas cage. Darla has seen this bowl before and doesn't care but buttercup.. She's gone nuts. She's in the bowl and has been in the bowl for 15 min straight. She's got her legs in there and her tail is all that's sticking out. She is spinning around in circles inside it, peeking her head in and out over and over. I thought she was eating the pellets and seeds inside but no, she's just shoving them around and spinning. Is she just having fun or is this some nesty stuff? I don't want eggs to appear in this bowl lol or anywhere if I can help it. She's 4.5ish months old, is that too young for nesty stuff? I got a video of it but I'm technologically challenged and only use an ipad Currently so I'd rather not try to post it if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I think she may just like her reflection and is having fun. There could be a bit of hormones involved in there, but I think she's just being silly right now more than hormones. If you hear any chirping though then it is probably hormones. xD

But I think hormones don't kick in until they are about a year old, so she is probably just having fun. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
4.5 months is very young so she probably is just having fun...just thought I would mention that my female (buttercup!) was hormonal from 9 months onwards. She laid two eggs at this age. So it can happen before 12 months.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
What the others have said - sounds like she's having fun, LOL. Birds do the strangest things, don't they? :D

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! She was in her bowl for the whole evening, only came out to go to sleep, and today she's been in and out of it all day lol.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
She's very young, so she could just be playing. But things like that can make females incredibly hormonal. My Sophie, who is almost a year and a half old, has been masturbating in her silver bowl -- she sits in it with her bum up against the side and clucks repeatedly like a chicken! She does it every day. I think I need to rearrange the cage. :p

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't want to have to take the bowl out because it's the only one they don't chew the crap out of but I will if you guys think it's better to? What kind of bowls do you guys use? Other than the silver bowl I'm using the ones that came with the cage, but they're plastic which gets chewed and a little small so they sit awkwardly on them.

*edit* now Darla has decided that buttercup is hogging the bowl and they're both struggling over each other to get in it. Sigh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts