Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fighting an awful cold/bronchitis. I feel badly about it, but should I not let Milo :grey tiel: out to be with me while I am ill? I am so afraid of him getting sick too, even though I don't think it transfers from humans to birds... He loves to be up in my face and gives lots of kisses. What are your suggestions?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Bacterial respiratory infections can be contagious to birds, so if you think that's a possibility, I would stay away until you're feeling better.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks enigma, I will...I keep talking to him and whistling with him, just to give attention, but I feel better not handling him.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I am prone to colds and must always struggle to keep my boy away from me as he will scream away from me and it is not easy to get better with a screaming, unhappy tiel, no matter what I do to keep him entertained. :(
Get well soon! It won't take long until you are reunited. :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I am prone to colds and must always struggle to keep my boy away from me as he will scream away from me and it is not easy to get better with a screaming, unhappy tiel, no matter what I do to keep him entertained. :(
Get well soon! It won't take long until you are reunited. :)
So technically colds are not contagious to our 'tiels because they are a species-specific virus. But bacterial bronchitis/pneumonia can be contagious, so it's best to be careful if that's a possibility. :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
So technically colds are not contagious to our 'tiels because they are a species-specific virus. But bacterial bronchitis/pneumonia can be contagious, so it's best to be careful if that's a possibility. :)
I usually have a bronchitis after a cold... I have always been careful, just in case, but my boy never got sick. Occasionally he sneezes, but he was never sick. Sometimes something just irritates his nostrils, but that's not like having a cold of course. He's a strong boy! He has never been sick in six years. :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I usually have a bronchitis after a cold... I have always been careful, just in case, but my boy never got sick. Occasionally he sneezes, but he was never sick. Sometimes something just irritates his nostrils, but that's not like having a cold of course. He's a strong boy! He has never been sick in six years. :)
Yeah, for what it's worth, I'm not sure it's that easy for them to catch anything from us. My birds have never gotten anything from me either in 20+ years and I definitely was not that careful when I was a kid. So I don't think we need to worry about, like, fully quarantining ourselves away from them when we're sick, but obviously it's good practice to wash hands and keep them out of our faces. :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
We should be particular careful with hankies. My boy always tries to pull them out of my pocket (and yells at them), and when we are sick it is really not good. (It is never good and I always discourage him, but when we are sick it is even worse...)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the well wishes! I have been washing my hands a lot, especially when I am dealing with his food, water etc.. I think its mostly viral, but still with all my coughing and all, I just don't want to take a chance. It's just the 'what if' factor, so I would rather be safe than sorry.
On a funny note, today I was letting my little poodle outside, and as usual when its time to come in I whistle and say "come on Zoey", so what do I hear next? You guessed it- three whistles and a very clear "come on Zoey"! My poor little Zoey is coming to me every time he says it!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Hahahaha! Poor Zoey. She is going to be so confused!! Feel better soon! It really is that time of the year!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Well, today I have a cold again... But Howie won't accept to be anywhere else but on my shoulder or some other part of my body. I need some rest and silence, so I don't know what to do. If I put him in the other room he will scream, and pluck himself on top of that... :(

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe a new toy or some treats? Poor baby, I had a budgie who was a plucker too, its so hard to see them that way. Feel better, I am finally getting over mine. Milo was ecstatic to be out with me again. I didn't put Milo in a different room, he is in the living room, so he wasn't quite so alone...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Maybe a new toy or some treats? Poor baby, I had a budgie who was a plucker too, its so hard to see them that way. Feel better, I am finally getting over mine. Milo was ecstatic to be out with me again. I didn't put Milo in a different room, he is in the living room, so he wasn't quite so alone...
Thank you. He has plenty of toys (and I buy him new ones all the time), but I am his favourite one. :) He likes "interaction".
I am not well yet, but a bit better. He did stay with me anyway yesterday, although not close to my mouth or nose.
I know, he breaks my heart when he plucks himself. Sprinkling him with water helps (as I said in another thread), but obviously I cannot be with him 24/7, as I also have to go out sometimes, and when I do he plucks again (he also does it when I put him to bed, although he calms down pretty quickly), and then all the efforts are down the drain and the tiny feathers trying to grow back are gone again. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts