Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will soon welcome home my two young cockatiels, both a little under 2 months old. I have already bought the basics and a handful of safe bird toys for them, and am planning on feeding them Lafeber or Roudybush. However, it doesn't hurt to ask what makes your cockatiel the happiest :D

Please recommend some toys, food, activities, and any other advice on how to keep the chicks happy and healthy! Also, share any tips on welcoming them to their new home :cinnamon: :pearl:

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That's so exciting! I have a few questions for you first though... Are you getting them from a reputable breeder? Are they being hand-raised? Under 8 weeks of age seems a little too young for babies to be rehomed. You want to make sure that they are weaned (eating on their own) properly before taking them on. Weaning age can range from as soon as 8 weeks to even 10 - 11 weeks old depending on the individual.

Lafeber and Roudybush are excellent brands. Lafeber have so many different varieties of yummy foods, my flock love the Nutriberries in all of the different flavours. Harrison's is also a top quality brand for pellets. The rule generally is that the younger they are, the more luck you will have with getting them to try new foods! For vegetables I recommend shredded carrots, broccoli florets, oregano, peas and corn, spinach, silverbeet and dandelion flowers. You can also pick wild grass seed for them, they go crazy over it!

My flock love shreddable toys the most. They love picking apart wicker balls, loofah toys, soft wood and bark from lemon tree and rosemary branches which double as perches as well as enrichment and entertainment too, eucalyptus, popsicle stick toys and basically anything they can easily destroy! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the suggestions! And yes, the chicks are being hand-fed and are still too young, which is why I am so excited about getting my home ready for them in the meantime. The birds are coming from a reputable family business that my friend had recommended. All their birds, young and old, appear to be well cared for. The staff clearly love the birds!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.