Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,At the minute I'm using living world premium seed.Has any one used this brand? What do you think of it? What pellet brand do you use? The only one I can get in my local petstore is Beaphar but I could order online. Any recommendations on a brand of seed and brand of pellets? Thanks Dylan.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
seed brands

wElcome, Dylan! I am not familiar with that brand. I feed Bennie a variety of foods. I like one called "Grassland Foraging Diet" I got from "My Safe Bird Store" on-line. I also give him "Nuriberries" which are a mixture of pellets and seeds. There are many people on the forum who are much more knowledgeable about 'tiel nutrition than I; I am sure you will hear from them, too.
How many cockatiels do you have? Can you post a picture of him/her/them some-time? I always enjoy seeing members' birds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in Ireland I can try the nutriberries but I'm not sure where I could get the grassland foraging diet. I have two cockatiels,they're pied and I'm not sure of gender but I think two boys.I will try and upload some pictures of them out on their walks with the flightsuit/harness.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I feed zupreem in the budgie size (the colored one), nutriberries, and a mix of generic store-brand parakeet and ABBA canary seed. My cockatiels don't like the larger seeds in a more usual small parrot mix but get a good balance of the smaller with these mixes, with three or four millets, oats, rape, hemp, canary seed, safflower, and a few others plus the little bits of egg biscuit in the canary mix.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I also feed zupreem, it seems to be the workhorse (or at least one of the workhorses) of the bird pellet industry. There are many brands but this is the one that seems to be readily available everywhere. I have encountered some bags that have budgies on the front and some with cockatiels (I buy the smallest size as well) zupreem seems pretty indecisive about how to market the smallest size so that's something to look out for. Mine like the fruit blend the most. The naturals they all seemed to turn their noses up to. There are some who prefer to stay away from dyes and I can respect that decision. I personally feel that if a varied diet is fed (seed, veggies, and pellets) I don't believe the dyes will make a significant difference. Again, it comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies,they have been very helpful the coloured Zupreem is cheaper too. They're on seed at the minute,when I bought them they were on all seed I am trying to encourage them to eat vegetables,but to no avail. Would you recommend getting the parakeet or cockatiel zupreem for cockatiels? They are picky eaters so are the cockatiel pellets small enough?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have seen both pictures on the smallest size. If you find a bag with a budgie on it, go for that first. If that isn't available, then the bag with the cockatiel is probably what you're looking for. I buy in bulk on amazon, so I am describing the big 35 lb bags.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's £17 on amazon(Uk) for a 2lb bag that seems very expensive. How long would a 2lb bag last for 2 cockatiels?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will buy a few bags at a time. I'm in Ireland I can't go to pet smart. I have another thread about my cockatiels new cage,let me know what you think of it.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
The pellets I get are Harrison's, Vetafarm, or Roudybush. Always get the smallest size available (especially for picky eaters), otherwise you may end up having to crush them down yourself, haha. Typically the size pellet that is labelled for birds similar sized to a cockatiel are too big for a cockatiel. I always get the pellets intended for budgies, finches etc. Nothing is different about the pellets other than the size of them.

For seed I usually get a cockatiel mix and mix it with a budgie and/or finch mix. My 'tiels prefer smaller sized seeds, and the cockatiel mix alone usually has too many sunflower seeds in them (these are quite fattening when eaten in large quantities).

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey gets Walmart seeds (nothing special), Zupreem fruity blend in budgie size, and either RoudyBush mini or RoudyBush crumble mixed each day. He also gets Harrison's superfine hand fed as a treat, simply because of the cost. I give him pieces of that through the day, but want to ensure he actually eats it, and not just leaves it in the dish.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I use Volkman seed, Nutriberries, and Roudybush pellets (they've also gotten Harrison's in the past but seem to enjoy the Roudybush much more.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the replies,they have been helpful. I'm going to mix parakeet mix in with my seed too. Are the pellets for parakeets just smaller or is there a nutritional difference?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies,they have been helpful. I'm going to mix parakeet mix in with my seed too. Are the pellets for parakeets just smaller or is there a nutritional difference?
Zupreem fruit blend pellets are all the same just the size varies for different species. I also feed budgie size and for my budgies I feed finch size. I also feed fresh and or cooked foods as well as a wild harvest cockatiel mix from walmart.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going to get the zupreem parakeet size thanks for all of the advice. I don't have access to walmart I'm in Ireland.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I give mine Vetafarm pellets. They seem to like it.
As for seed, I just buy a 10kg bag of cockatiel seed from the feed store when I buy dog food. The lady that owns the feed store has a big aviary of cockatiels and she bags her own seed for retail. Not as many sunflower seeds as most commercially packaged bags!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts