Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive posted this thread I dont know how many times because I never got an exact answer to what Mutation Rocko is he is just coming out of a moult still has some pin feathers left and he has changed alot he has lost lots of pearls on his wings and I noticed he has some yellow spots on his neck and his stomach is a light grey and his back is a darker grey he has a full yellow face and the back of his head is a whitish yellow,his feet are pink and his nails are transparent with some grey tips he also has some yellow spots on the back of his neck but not much I heard they get these yellow spots in the Summer Here are some pictures that may help you tell the mutation:

Also please give your opinion if you think hes Male or Female.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Rocko is the pearl-pied mutation. My opinion is that he's male because he's lost a lot of the pearls on his back.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Yes, because after molting, females stay looking exactly the same (with heaps of pearling) and the males lose most of their pearling. Although the pied gene does slow down this change, it does still happen but instead of over a couple of molts it can take years. Rocko already looks a lot different from his baby photos though. :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, because after molting, females stay looking exactly the same (with heaps of pearling) and the males lose most of their pearling. Although the pied gene does slow down this change, it does still happen but instead of over a couple of molts it can take years. Rocko already looks a lot different from his baby photos though. :)
Thanks and is he definitely a pearl pied.Rocko looks very different in his baby photos its funny when you walk into the petstore and all the baby tiels are so tiny and I saw two yellow lovebirds with a pink face and they were tiny they were like the size of a budgie but with more weight are lovebirds normally that small.Also I really dont know about getting another tiel because if Rocko dosent look interested he might ignore the new tiel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts