Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I got my baby on mothers day she's supposed to be a month out of the nest the guy we got her from made it clear she's not albino but all white I'm thinking white face lutino? But she has a very pale tan on her wings and tail he was also adamant she is a she as she has tail barring but I thought she would be to young to tell yet her eyes are not pink they are very dark the parents were cocked looked normal hen all white I think but didn't get a good look at her

Attachments

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
My guess would be whiteface cinnamon lutino. Whiteface lutino is equivalent to albino in mammals, but when the bird also has cinnamon it makes a little bit of the color come back. This explains why: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/breed-coloration2.html#cinnamonlutino

I'm not convinced that she's a baby though. A whiteface lutino baby should have bright red eyes, and her eyes don't look red in the picture. The eye color darkens when the bird gets older. A clear pied bird has dark eyes, but a clear pied bird can't have the cinnamon wash that she has on her wing and tail feathers. The intensity of the cinnamon wash varies from one bird to another, but it's usually not this dark in a baby.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tielfan and Daytontiel
Thank you both for taking time to reply. I have no way of knowing how old she really is only going by what the breeder told me her eyes are very dark I thought black but when we were out in the sun I thought I saw very dark red... she is quite calm and curious for an aviary bred bird but also vocal for a female calls out when I leave the room.. whatever her mutation maybe moulting and time will help to know (I'm the curious gotta know type lol ) that article you put a link up for is fascinating and I think you may be right .. Just have to try to hand tame her now lol
Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
She sounds like an adult whiteface cinnamon lutino. It's easier to see the true eye color of adults in sunlight - indoors they look like normal dark eyes. Adult lutinos can have some very weird eye colors too, such as pale shades of grey, blue, and green, but it's usually not noticeable unless you look at them in the sunlight. I don't know the reason for it.

There is zero melanin in a pied feather, so we know that the feathers with a color wash are not pied feathers. Something else is taking most of the melanin out of these feathers, and whiteface cinnamon lutino is the only reasonable explanation for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks
i believe you would be right. to be honest i love the way feathers have just that slight difference. and it is very possible i was misinformed about her age and she is an Adult. either way I am absolutely in love with her she has a real placid calm personality so far but can be very loud lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts