Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres a pic of kiki who i think is going through her first molt b/c i have feathers everywhere could anyone tell me what mutation she is i have been reading some about mutations and would like to know what ya'll think

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Kiki look like a Pearl to me. You say SHE is molting. How old is Kiki? If Kiki is a young male going through his first molt you will likely lose all those speckled feathers. Male lose them when they mature. The good news is Pearl is a sex linked mutation and if bred all the female offspring will be Pearl. They do not lose their pearling.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i got kiki on june 6th and the woman told me when she got her in april that kiki was "probably" four months,so i dont even really know myself maybe 6-7 months:confused: if she turns out to be a he how long will it take for all the speckled feathers to come out? im seeing those kind of feathers everywhere on the floor but still has alot still on her

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Usually a moult takes a few weeks, with my white face pearl Lee I noticed in the first week that he start to lose some of his Pearls on his back it was only a bit but I knew right away that he was a male he lost about half his Pearls in the first moult he still has some on his back and wings it usually takes a few moults for most of them to go.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
If you could ask the breeder what mutations the parents were that may give you the answer. If the Father was a pearl or appeared to be a nomal grey and the Mother was not then Kiki is a girl. If Mom was a pearl too it could still go either way. As mentioned in my earlier post Pearl is sex linked and is passed from fathers to daughters and he can carry the gene without showing it. Only if the Mother is also a pearl could Male pearls be hatched.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts