Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any body have any idea what this spurr like growth is and what the cause is?
also does that look like a bruise or fracture or swelling around the tiny nostril?

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
That will certainly need the attention of an avian vet...
Do what you can to see one as soon as possible for sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm mostly talking about that spike coming up out in front of his right nostril, Has anybody ever seen this before or know what it is? And, by the way, no access to avian certified vet.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Most avian vets will let you arrange a phone consult with pictures you can email, or even skype. Then they can advise a general vet if further action is necessary.
I wouldn't mess around with that, if its some sort of fast growing benign tumor it will impede breathing & lead to obvious further problems fast.
It may even the result of a virus causing a growth similar to a wart?
I live in a regional area & have the exact same issue as you in not having relative access to an avain vet, and I do the phone consult thing fairly often.
Especially at the moment as I have an unwell Tiel :(
Dont let what may be a small problem now, become a bigger one...
Hope you find answers soon!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Even if it is in a different position, I really think that the image in the first link I posted looks very similar: http://imgur.com/a/JQhAe.

So as they say in that thread it is probably hyperkeratosis caused by vitamin A deficiency. Not something life-threatening, but the horn should still be removed and his diet changed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in a regional area & have the exact same issue as you in not having relative access to an avain vet, and I do the phone consult thing fairly often.
thanks.
i hope your birdie is well soon.
can you recommend a phone vet?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I actually live in Australia, so the Vets I use would be a little far away for you :p
But I am sure if you google Avian Vets nearer you location & give them a call you will soon find one happy to do a phone/skype consult for you.
Then you can get some dialog going between them and a close by general vet to do any necessary procedures.
Most Avian Vets are very understanding of regional people needing help for their birds, and will get the ball rolling to have you & your bird sorted.
And thankyou...my Tiel is in for a bit of a difficult time...he has serious diabetes & we are sorting out the best treatment plan to hopefully get him back on track.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts