Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
The poxs are not clear enough to tell anything. How much is hanging out? And how long has this been going on?

If it looks like it is a mass of tissue protruding from the body there is a good chance that it could be a prolapse of the cloaca, uterus or oviduct. This is a result of staining too hard to pass something from the vent.

If it is a prolapse then do not allow any exposed tissue to dry out. You can clean it and keep it moist by placing the area under a stream of warm running water. If you can post some more pix's to show the area better that would be helpful. Id it just tissue or is there an egg enclosed in the tissue.

If a prolapse of the tissue only you can resolve it by rinsing the area, and blotting semi dry. Coat the entire exposed membrane with sugar and let the sugar sit on the tissue for 10-15 mins. Rinse off the sugar, and use a damp Q-tip to gently push the tissue back in the body. it may stay the 1st time, or it may take 2 times to keep it in. if the tissue does not want to stay in keep it moist and get to a vet ASAP, and explain you have prolapsed tissue coming from the vent area.

More info would be helpful...such as has the bird been laying, and what did the last egg look like. What does the poop look like.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then use the instructions I posted on how to get the tissue back into the body. It was a vet years ago that told me what to do 10PM, over the phone, after the clinic had closed, and it worked.
I tried that a few minutes ago I don't know what to push back in and how hard to.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
I tried that a few minutes ago I don't know what to push back in and how hard to.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Is there tissue protruding outside the body? Please some good clear pix's would help.

If there is not an avian vet, phone and ask around for a vet that takes care of poultry...they would know what to do with a prolapse.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Can you part the feathers so that they are not blocking the veiw?

From the little showing it looks like an inverted cloaca (vent)...similar to the attached pix (click for a larger view) This happened on a luttle baby that had an impacted cloaca/vent....and to get the tissue in I coated it with sugar, waited 15 min, and used a Q-top and gently shoved the tissue back into the body.

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you part the feathers so that they are not blocking the veiw?

From the little showing it looks like an inverted cloaca (vent)...similar to the attached pix (click for a larger view) This happened on a luttle baby that had an impacted cloaca/vent....and to get the tissue in I coated it with sugar, waited 15 min, and used a Q-top and gently shoved the tissue back into the body.
it looks like the pic and what does the sugar do?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried the sugar and q tip thing that didn't work now something else is hanging out theres no hope she's gonna die. :(

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Keep the tissue clean and damp...do not let it dry out.

Get on the phone and try phoning anyone you can think of that may be able to help. Such as rehabbers, vets that work with poultry, other breeders that may have experience with think.

In the interim try again to get the tissue back inside.

·
Registered
111 Posts
How is your bird?
I really hope she/he will make it :)

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Some normal vets will see birds, you can't say you don't have any normal vets close-by. Heck, the vets my cats go to see birds, and if they are unsure about something, they contact an avian vet and get advice on what to do. Ring around normal vets and you will likely find one, she is most likely in a lot of pain, and the longer you leave it, the more of a chance she won't make, but I do hope she will make it through.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I really hope you managed to push the cloaca back in... thoughts are with you and your little hen... hope she is ok.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She's been at the vet since I seen it my friends mom took her. And what she told me is that she still alive after they did whatever they had to do to fix her. I'm not sure when I'm getting her back though. I don't want her back and then she dies on me.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts