Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got this feathered gentleman I thought he was a white face lutino.
After I got him home and got him in better light I realized he does not have red eyes. At first I thought they were just very dark but shining a light in them produced no red whatsoever. I then noticed he really was not white either! He has a faint beige type color over his whole body. It was so light that the only way I noticed it was the white on his wing was really white. He has pink feet and beak. Tail and flight feathers are a shade darker than body (barely noticeable). Can you please help?
Sorry the picture is not better...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
The first thing that you might do is go to the top of the page and click on UserCP and update your profile. This info is helpful to readers that would like to respond to your posting. For instance: Location helps because there are different mutations aside from the US. Birds and experience levels help to know how to phrase responses, etc.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I think I know of the mutation, but I would first appreciate it if you filled out your profile info so we can know about you and your location. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have updated

Sorry...I never scrolled to the lower part of that page. DUH........I feel real smart .....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you I will search.... would it be advisable to look for a female like him and breed them?

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
With a DFDS, you want to pair him with a good quality plain normal or normal WF hen. In doing this you will get all single factor dominant silvers (SFDS) with no chick moratlity in the nest. A common mistake when working with a DF is to breed for more thus a breeder will pair with a SFDS or another DFDS. With a SFDS pairing losses in the nest can be up to 80% and it would be the chicks that would have been DF. With a pairing with a SFDS losses could be 50%.

A breeders goal should be to improve the next generation. The easiest and best way with this bird is to pair him with a good qualiity normal or WF normal hen. What I did with the next generation which would be SFDS was to pair them again with the plainest, nicest normal. Some of the babies would be SFDS and some normals. I hold back both. It is always good to have normals on hand to use for breeding when working with the rarer mutations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SORRY...... did not know if it was the same with the females...I know less than nothing about this mutation. I have not dealt with the less common mutations.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
It is the same for all Dominant silver regardless of their sex.

If you do not know about this mutation then please do research....use the search for past postings and the internet. It is one oif the few mutations that when you pair visuals together (especially DF) you can kiss the babies good-bye after they hatch. Probably many babies died in the nest for the breeder to get the bird you have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried clicking on the link..........this is what it said....Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. Did I do it wrong?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts