Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 cockatiels. I believe Jo-Jo is a white cinnamin pearl but I don't know what Smokey is. I don't know how to do pictures but I will try to explain. She is gray & white. Dark gray with white on wings. She has a grayish face (not white) but no orange or yellow. I know without a picture you can only guess but any suggestions would help. I got her from a pet store & she has tamed down a lot but still won't let us hold her. I just don't know what she is. Thanks for any info you can give.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Does she look like this? If so, that's a grey whiteface hen.

I have a cinnamon whiteface hen

(I am pretty sure it is a grey whiteface hen anyways, someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
It looks like a Whiteface gray. It could be a hen if it is under 6 months. If it's a male the face will turn white with maturity.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first picture that Solace put up looks just like her. I don't know how old she is or if she is even a female, but she (which is what I have been calling her) looks like the one in the picture. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
If she has bars on her tail like this:

Then it's a female...males will not have the spots and bar patterns that females have. Depends on the age too. (which you don't know so she/he could be any age)

Males are usually more vocal than females and they are capable of mimicking words and sounds. (A very small percentage of females can sing and talk as well. )Males will start to whistle and imitate sounds at about 6 months of age. Many of them will have mastered the "wolf whistle" before being welcomed into their forever homes. Body and courtship behavior provide other clues to help determine gender. Males will pull their wings back to form the shape of a heart when whistling. Males also tap on cage bars, food dishes, toys and other surfaces to attract the attention of a mate. One male behavior that often puzzles and disturbs new bird owners is the sight of their bird briskly rubbing the vent against a toy, perch or other object, while quickly swishing the tail from side to side. Adult male birds will masturbate if their hormones are stimulated. Females on the other hand, exhibit a much different and more subtle behavior when ready to mate. The female will tilt her head down forward, then slightly elevate the tail, while making soft chirping sounds.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Solace, your pictures and comments are awesome. Thanks for the information. I'm glad she was able to help out with Smokey as well. Can't wait to see pictures.
I don't mind at all, as long as it helps a bit then I am more then happy.

out of all my male cockatiels never have any of the "beak banged" I feel so left out :p
Are you for real? my 2 males beak bang 24/7 it gets so annoying. If I were you I would think myself lucky.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Yes she is most likely a girl. (unless she's really young..)

Some females can whistle and talk, but it's very rare that it happens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. Yes Smokey has bars across her tail. I also believe that Jo-Jo is a boy because he is always chirping. I think he is a lot younger that Smokey because his a lot littler than Smokey. I appreciate all your help. I love this website because the people are loving, sincere & full of information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.