Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCFf0Ke2bb8

My around 5m old pearl cockatiel has decided he really likes to sing and tries to dance to his/her own song. I still don't know if this bird is male or female so we just go with he for now. He never stops singing like this, but a few primary feathers that were lost 3 and a half weeks ago are coming in mostly dark grey but with a yellow streak near the vein of the feather. I can get a picture but the feathers are not quite grown in all the way, and Yoshi hates when I have to check his wings. The yellowing on the feather is not close to what the previous feather had, and I need to mention the feathers were not lost to molting but due to a night fright that he had because he hasn't been molting just yet.

The singing is different all the time, some days he sounds like a monkey being beaten to death by a squeaky toy, others he sounds like a cricket. Usually it's more like this in the video though. The head banging is new, like within the last few days. He first did it when I was playing Gangnam style on my computer and I think he liked the song. Today though he was just doing it, and tapping my shoulder with is beak while he was banging his head.

This bird's gender is confusing me to no end. His actions say one thing, but his feathers say another. My little weirdo.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Cute video! I'd say your 'tiel is a young male just beginning to find his voice. When they first start to practice singing they can sound a little out of tune and squeaky, haha. This is the perfect time to start playing him some songs/tunes that you would like him to learn. Once he goes through his first molt he should start losing the pearls and gain a bright yellow face mask. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about his feathers coming in with yellow still on them? Is he just not old enough for them to be straight grey? They're mostly grey with yellow streaks near the center. I don't think he's got the pied gene, he certainly doesn't look pied to me.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
He didn't look pied to me either. All I saw was pearl. He'll get his mask in slowly, not all at once, so feathers coming in half and half will eventually change to full yellow

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
What about his feathers coming in with yellow still on them? Is he just not old enough for them to be straight grey? They're mostly grey with yellow streaks near the center.
With Coco, my male pearl, it took several molts for the pearls to completely disappear. They will most likely disappear slowly, get smaller and smaller and then finally fade into all-grey feathering (apart from the tail, that will usually still retain some yellow to it). He will probably keep a line of faded pearls on each of his shoulders. Coco has, and Henry, who is split to pearl, has this patterning too.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Milo's face is turning yellow, and its bit by bit. He looks like a little bandit with grey feathers around his eyes and yellow everywhere else. He also has some yellow in his tail feathers, along with some grey and striped ones. He is only 7 months old, and has had a light molt just last month.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts