Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a new cockatiel mommy to Beaker. I've had him for about a week and he is a hand-fed baby. I know I got him only a day or two after they decided he was weaned. Lately he has been making this really strange noise when he is being held. I'm pretty sure it's not that he wants to be left alone because when ever we put him down he comes running back to us. My questions is what does this noise mean, and how should I respond to it. It isn't a very pretty/happy noise so I'd prefer not to reinforce it and make it a habit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=682XJ8obzB0

Thanks everybody - This is my first post :yellow pied:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response! How should I respond to this behavior? Is it something you think he will grow out of when he gets older?

Beaker is just that awesome of a name :) I'm a science teacher so it is part of a theme. We also have a Petri (parakeet) and are someday planning on getting a Bunsen

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Thank you for your response! How should I respond to this behavior? Is it something you think he will grow out of when he gets older?

Beaker is just that awesome of a name :) I'm a science teacher so it is part of a theme. We also have a Petri (parakeet) and are someday planning on getting a Bunsen
That's what I named him after too. Small world full of science/bird lovers :lol:

He will grow out of it. When I was socializing young budgies, one would make that noise; he was begging. When he was sold, he started begging again, but it went away. Did you just recently bring him into your home? Sometimes a new, young bird can revert. It's normal if they do, they grow out of it. And I forgot to welcome you by the way :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's what I named him after too. Small world full of science/bird lovers :lol:
It's nice to know I'm not the only one with science-inspired bird names. My last tiel was Wally, after Alfred Russell Wallace (she kept the name even when I learned she was not a he), and now I have Sir Isaac Newton.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Love the noise - Kiki made a similar noise when we first got her. It went away after a couple of weeks. now at 3and a half months old, she is into the mating dance for my husband!

Welcome, and love I love Beaker.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everybody! Good to hear that he will probably grow out of it. In the mean time is there any way that I should or shouldn't respond to it?

yay science!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Just a point that is what a teal sounds like when hes asking mom/ dad or breeder for food, when I handraised piccolo he weaned himself at 6 weeks and no longer made that sound, that's a begging to be fed.

Most breeders will wait til the bird no longer accepts the syringe for feedings cause its the birds choice to be weaned, there are breeders unfortunately who see a bird eating seed and say oh he's weaned, which is when you get birds that still cry like yours does in a video, every bird weans at different times, parent raised average 8 weeks, handfed can be anywere between 6-10 weeks

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
no just make sure that when he does it feed him something, unless you were trained to hand feed don't do it. he's just going to be a bit more babyish for a while , he will hopefully be eating enough seed/pellets/ to decide I don't need to be babied, but srtiels has a bird that still takes formula especially when nesting, lol, he's only doing it cause he wasn't finished with the handfeeding, but he will out grow it feeding him from your had gives him that experience in a way and you could mush up rice crispies and put it on a spoon and see what he does, but hun if he's eating don't worry, that sound is more worryisome when they are not eating enough seed, and his crop isn't full, do you know how to check crop fullness after you see him eating seed, this will tell you is he eating or is he just pecking.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
the best thing for you to do at this time is just to make sure they are eating and gaining weight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been feeding him parakeet sized pellets. He does seem to be eating all the time but a lot ends up on the floor. Just purchases a no spill feeder. He also devours millet and rice crispies but I tried to give that sparingly because they are supposed to be a treat. I did weigh him a few times and he is gaining weight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And no I don't know now to check the crop. Also if I feed him when he makes that noise will it train him that the noise is OK?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
its at chest level between neck and feet if its got food in it it will feel grainy, I can feel the seed in piccolos crop, most birds at this stage just before weaning will forage during the day and get the last feeding just before bed, so before bedtime is the time that the crop is best to check to see if he's doing more than foreging, but is actually eating in bigger amounts, and breeders do this as the last feeding to be removed when weaning cause its a long night and most birds will not eat after sundown.

Most babes out grow that sound when they have chosen to wean themselves, so that shouldn't be a problem, but then heck my dogs have my husband trained for cookies by whining, just put a little seed or pellet in your hand not much just enough to show him this is the food that he gets, then show him his food dish if he's still hungry. parent birds show babies were to forege by pecking in the dish or on the ground when babies around so you can do that to by making your fingers your beak and "pecking" in the dish so to speak, I do it with my babes when im trying to show them were the food is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts