Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we wernt sure if it was a female or male because our little cutey is only 4 months, so we shouldnt stroke her back anymore?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
we wernt sure if it was a female or male because our little cutey is only 4 months, so we shouldnt stroke her back anymore?
Well judging from that behavior I am pretty sure it's a female..lol no I wouldn't stroke her back anymore as it will stimulate her to lay eggs which she is too young for.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Do you want your bird to think you're trying to mate with her?

To put it bluntly, that's what she thinks you're doing. The petting on her back feels like a male mounting her to mate. That's why she's raising her bum in the air and chirping like that.

You are a human, not a bird. You cannot be her mate. You are sending her the wrong message. This could lead to misguided frustration based aggression, screaming, or self mutilation when she doesn't understand why you're leading her on but not doing the deed.

You will also likely stimulate her to lay eggs. Chronic laying is extremely dangerous to her health, and many female parrots (tiels especially) have died as a result of egg binding. It is something you want to avoid as much as you can. Tiels are opportunistic breeders - they will get nesty whenever conditions are right, which in our climatized homes is basically all the time. This constant state of elevated hormones is very taxing on the endocrine system.

Keep touching to the head & neck only. I would also check out the sticky on hormone control techniques and do some further research on the subject.

Here is a good article to start with.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Murray (female) does this mating display for me and tries to crawl under my hands to make me pet her on the back...despite the cuteness I refuse! ParrotletsRock is right, everyone learns some time :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts