Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen adults before state that a child was not capable of taking care of a bird, while some say birds are for every age and size. I'm curious to see what others think about this.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I think it depends on the person, and how supportive the rest of the family is. I got my first 'tiel when I was five years old, and I still have him today, almost nineteen years later. But, I know that if I didn't have my parents' support, that would not have been possible. So I think that if it's more of a family pet with a young child as the primary caretaker, that's just fine so long as the child is gentle and patient with the bird.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I think a teenager has too much of a busy lifestyle to have the time to truly care for the bird properly and have a regular social life that a teenager has.

Children can have them... But the parents have to be 100% committed to taking care of the bird bc it involves getting rid of air freshners, candles, changing cleaning supplies, getting new cookware etc. and you can't expect most children to be responsible enough to clean the cage daily. And change their food and water.

Sure. Both can interact with birds just fine. The actually taking care part is where they would fall short.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmm meaggiedear what makes you think teenagers have more busy lifestyles then adults? I'm curious.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I know you asked Meagan and not me, but I think it's less that adults are less busy and more that they know how to prioritize in a way that teenagers might not be able to. I mean, I work 13 hours a day now, but I always make sure my birds are cared for and have their out of cage time. I definitely was not that disciplined as a teenager, even though I loved them just as much then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mmm I see. I understand that set of thinking but at the same time I have to say that some teenagers are more responsible.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I had animals as a teenager (we didn't have a tiel then) but I would agree that I definitely wouldn't have had time for a tiel like I do now. There's a difference between feeding the bird every day and actually giving it the daily attention it needs.

That being said, I don't think children under seven should have a tiel. Mainly because (and I've noticed this with my own birds) tiels don't like younger children. Mostly because they move too fast for most tiels. There are some exceptions to this rule, but so far none of my birds has liked any child they've met, even my hand fed ones.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
i think it depends on the person. ive known some wonderfully responsible little kids who take excellent care of their pets. i know a young girl who takes the best care of her budgies than anyone i know, by herself. she is very responsible for them and i count her an excellent bird owner. then i know 18-20 year olds and many other adults who shouldnt own them at all. i feel the more responsible the child, its great, as long as the parents provide the proper care as well. some teens dont have many friends and i believe they benefit from a pet. if the kid is responsible, i think thats the deciding factor, not the age itself :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I don't think anyone is arguing that no teenager ever would be responsible enough to be a good bird owner. :) We have plenty of teenaged members who are great bird owners. I think it's more that in general, there would be fewer responsible bird owners found in that age bracket than in an older one. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Mmm I see. I understand that set of thinking but at the same time I have to say that some teenagers are more responsible.
Some teenagers are, yes. Every individual is different.... but like enigma answered- most don't have their priorities in order to properly care for a bird.

You are definitely right. There are some responsible teenagers, but generalizing them- most aren't.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I don't think anyone is arguing that no teenager ever would be responsible enough to be a good bird owner. :) We have plenty of teenaged members who are great bird owners. I think it's more that in general, there would be fewer responsible bird owners found in that age bracket than in an older one. Does that make sense?
Lol. I posted before I saw your response, but yeah. I said the same thing. Lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Totally makes sense.
Also, the argument about cockatiels not liking children made me laugh because mine absolutely love children.

Here they are with my younger cousin xD

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Well and as I said, every tiel is different. If they're raised around kids, they will probably like them. Mine are not raised around children and so they fly away from children every chance they get. That doesn't mean they can't learn to like them. Another point is that most pet stores (mainly petsmart that I know of off the bat) won't sell a tiel to a child under seven as that's their "recommended" age.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I think that also depends on the child and the bird. I have one bird who's super neurotic/anxious and would freak out around children. My other bird, however, loves just about everyone and is much more laidback. Plus it would depend on the child's temperament. :) (I'm a scientist, so you're almost never going to get an absolute answer from me about anything. ;) )

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:) My birds are pretty wild so they only let me or younger children handle them, I think it's funny because they seem to not like older adults very much.
I have two younger siblings so maybe that is why they are more used to them.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Well, generally speaking, 'tiels are most comfortable with whatever has given them the most positive experiences in the past. So if they are mostly handled by younger individuals, and that contact is positive for the bird, then they'll be most comfortable with younger people handling them. If that preference for younger people then makes them more reluctant with older adults, then the older adults may in turn stop handling them, which serves to reinforce the original preference. :)

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
True. My birds are all pretty laid back minus Grey. I don't know his past, and something from it probably contributes to his weariness of other people- but the rest have had great lives since babies so they don't mind all the different people that visit holding them. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am 15 years old so I obviously think that teenagers can own a cockatiel for whom I am fully and individually responsible. However, I agree that many teenagers shouldn't own a bird. I would say I am very responsible with my pets... I am committed to their happiness. However, most people my age are to busy with "teen stuff" to be bothered by a pet that requires so much responsibility, such as a bird. One of my friends said that she likes pets but doesn't want to take care of them. Many teens would fit that description.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I am 15 years old so I obviously think that teenagers can own a cockatiel for whom I am fully and individually responsible. However, I agree that many teenagers shouldn't own a bird. I would say I am very responsible with my pets... I am committed to their happiness. However, most people my age are to busy with "teen stuff" to be bothered by a pet that requires so much responsibility, such as a bird. One of my friends said that she likes pets but doesn't want to take care of them. Many teens would fit that description.
Yes. This is what I was trying to say in my original post. Lol

Teen life gets in the way and pets become less important.

But there are exceptions like Kayla.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts