Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. im am curious to see what everyone feeds their birds? mine get a mix of seed, organic grains, spices, herbs, and dried veggies that i make. they eat everything in the mix thank god lol. they also have access to twin beak aviarys herb salad at all times. petamine egg food while moulting. and veggies everyday (although they dont eat them most of the time) and about once a week when i first replace their seed for the day i will mix in a little organic veggie baby food just to make sure that they are getting the veggies that they need since they dont like eating real ones lol. i only will leave that in their cage about an hour though so it doesnt spoil. they also have cuttle bone and a unflavored mineral block at all times.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I feed my birds pellets (Roudybush at the moment, but I also give Harrisons and Vetafarm), seed, millet sprays, birdie bread (home made), home made treats, sprouts, cooked quinoa, pearl barley, lentils, cous cous, pasta, rice, boiled eggs, fresh herbs, egg and biscuit mix, dried chilli peppers, dried spices (cinnamon and nutmeg), dried fruit mix (cockatiel treat), some fresh fruit, plain popcorn, cuttle bone, mineral block, omega-3 oil, plain yogurt, berries, bee pollen, ginger. I think that's it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine gets Zupreem pellets (I know they're the junk food of pellets, but he loves them...), seeds, millet spray, cuttlebone, homemade bird bread, sweet potato, herbs, broccoli, kale, collards, yogurt, cooked grains, hummus (in tiny quantities), cooked beans, corn, clover and dandelion greens, clover, broccoli and alfalfa sprouts, beets and dried apricots and pears. I can't feed him mixes of anything, because he gets sick of a food if he gets it too many days in a row....

Belinda, where do you get your bee pollen? Whole Foods sells a bee pollen supplement, but I wasn't sure if it was OK for birds. Also, I was thinking of trying to incorporate eucalyptus oil somehow, since that's such an important part of their diets in the wild, but I'm not sure how. Has anyone ever tried this?

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Whole Foods sells a bee pollen supplement, but I wasn't sure if it was OK for birds.

Getting the Bee Pollen is better and less expensive from Whole Foods than any of these bird related sites. It is ususaly found in the refrigerated section and should also be refrigerated after being opened to maintain freshness and shelf life.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for the responses. it is always interesting/helpful to hear what other people feed their birds. i do make my birds treats also. which is another way i use to get more veggies in them.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Wow, my three's diest sounds dull compared to all these! They get cockatiel seed mix, egg & biscuit mix (which usually doesn't get eaten), veges everyday (usually either peas, potato, sweet potato, snow peas in their shell, brocolli, capsicum) depending on what's in the fridge. Occasionally when I make scrambled eggs they come and nibble that. They like barley also, but don't really eat rice or pasta (unfortunate since they need the extra weight gain!). And the occasional seed bar or millet spray :D and of course cuttlebone and a mineral bell :)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
We have a honey farm/tourist attraction called Superbee in Queensland and I believe they import some of their products. The bee pollen is expensive but I buy it from duty free store in China Town - your local asian grocer may stock it, I have a friend who lives in Melbourne who gets hers from her chinese grocer (however, beware some Chinese honey products contain additives). Not sure where you'd get it in the states. Someone might sell some local stuff online?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Whole Foods sells a bee pollen supplement, but I wasn't sure if it was OK for birds.

Getting the Bee Pollen is better and less expensive from Whole Foods than any of these bird related sites. It is ususaly found in the refrigerated section and should also be refrigerated after being opened to maintain freshness and shelf life.
I also bought one from Whole Foods but it's this one : Amazon.com : TOCA Organic Raw Chestnut Bee Pollen, 4.4 OZ : Grocery & Gourmet Food

I was wondering if it's ok to add it to my cockatiels' mix?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I feed Coco
Wilco parrot mix
Pets at home parot mix
(which is pet smarts sister company)
Kaytee pelits don\t know if you can get that in the states
Mixed greens
Peppers (red, yellow or green)
Chillies
Sweet potato
Bell pepper
Milit spray
Seed bells
(Which contain different seeds all stuck together with honey)
Cuttlefish bone
There’s a mineral block in his cage but he doesn’t tuch that much

1 - 9 of 9 Posts