Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping around for a cage and everything that goes in a cage, and I was wondering, what toys, accessories, other things do you consider essential? I'm looking to get a double flight cage and then I was planning on removing the divider part and DIY it into one big cage.
Next step would be to figure out what toys and perches, floor coverings and all other things to get.. any recommendations (also for webstores!) would be welcome.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Perches - Anything natural with the bark still on. They'll enjoy picking it off. Maple, fir, willow, etc. you can make your own from safe trees & stainless hardware, or buy online. Flat perches like basswood and elm are great, as well as cotton/sisal rope perches and boings if you have the room.

Toys - anything crunchable, shreddable, pickable. Balsa, yucca, vine, palm, paper, cork, etc. balsa is a huge hit here.

Things for Wings and Oliver's Garden are my favorite vendors as they are Canadian :)

I also really like I Got a Woody's toys, though the poor conversion rate on our dollar has held me back from ordering from them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use plain newspaper or white paper towels, no grates! Cockatiels like to spend a lot of time on the cage floor, foraging, and I think they have an easier time with a smooth floor.

I always like to keep one rope perch in the cage, at least 30 inches long. They love these to sleep on since they're soft and they can be shaped and add visual interest to a cage. My bird also adore swings, both with one hanging attachment which can rock all directions and those which have two hooks and only go back and forth. The latter are favorite sleeping spots, the ones I use have a sandy covering which trims down claws.

My cockatiels are really into toys, some are and some are not. Toys that I absolutely can't leave out of my cage are big silver bells, strips of sisal rope to preen, and the following toys I'll link. These I always keep on hand and have to replace every two months because they chew them apart to nothing. My birds love to shred, and it's great enrichment.
http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...-k6ysR98lJGD7gc7VED_I7ZxALncvxUzylBoCd0zw_wcB
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19256

I also string together clumps of those little wicker "finger traps" you can find easily online or in dollar stores. They're the perfect chew toy, and very affordable. My birds love shredding those too. Lastly, my birds love fresh tree branches with leaves (nontoxic species - apple, maple, rose of sharon, etc) in the summer to chew and climb in. As far as perches I use natural tree branches, sometimes a dowel or two. Variety is key. A few thin and a few thick branches are best, so they can choose. Branches with bark on them are very fun for the birds to strip.

My favorite supplier is Foster and Smith, and they have everything I suggested for sale on their website, except the finger traps which you can get really cheap on Ebay.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey has a variety of perches, chewable, wooden, and rope. A good variety of toys is always good, shreddable and non shreddable are good. We buy big, expensive ones, and cheaper ones too, so that we have a big box of them that we can trade around every week or two. He also has some smaller ones for when he is playing on top of his cage, which seems to be his fave place to be. Little balls he can pick up with his beak, things to chew, etc.

Although he doesn't spend a lot of time on his floor, his grate came out first thing, and we keep it lined with newspaper.

If you will be gone for work, or for a few hours at a time. a radio is a good thing. Joey has his own radio that we keep tuned to the local university station so he gets a mix of music and human voices through the day while we are at work.

Food is best as a mix of seeds, pellets and fresh veggies and other bird safe foods. Joey has his plain ol seeds from Walmart, then from the pet store he has fruit blend pellets and three other kinds of pellets for variety.

·
Registered
25 Posts
At least 2 sets of food and water dishes for a single bird, one to use and one to wash. You should have more sets if you have more birds sharing a cage.

Multiple types of toys (bells, swings, boings, wacky wood, shredder toys etc...). You need more then what is in the cage because you need to rotate them out occasionally.

Perches - Multiple types of natural wood perches and at least one pedicure perch in front of each food bowl. The highest perches should always be comfortable natural wood perches because they will be used the most. I don't use rope perches except on the outside of cage due to crop and entanglement problems.

White Vinegar and Prevue Hendryx cage saver scrub pad for spot cleaning. A canister steamer for more in depth cleanings because once you get to a large enough cage size hand scrubbing no longer makes sense.

Lots and lots of newspaper for the tray. If you don't have access to newspaper, I have been told packing paper and butcher paper are a good substitute.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
And a vacuum that never quite gets put away. :D Between seeds and pellets everywhere, and lots and lots of feathers, vacuuming is a daily thing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Shredable toys, preening toys, noise making toys, foraging toys. Natural perches of varying width. Good quality seeds and pellets

1 - 10 of 10 Posts