Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murray isn't rung or microchipped right now. I called my vet and asked about ringing, but he said 'rings can sometimes cause more problems than they solve for small birds' and said he prefers to microchip. He said it only takes 'a whiff of gas,' but with such a small bird I'm quite worried.

Have any of you had your tiels microchipped? Or ringed? What was your experience?

I'm thinking about this now because I'm about to start taking Murray out on the aviator harness in the nice weather. In reality she's probably more secure on that than in the carrier, but it still bothers me! I thread the cord through my shirt, put the loop around my wrist and attach my keys to the end of it so she won't be able to fly off with the leash! I'm aware that if she did get away the chances of her ever being seen again in any case are slim, but we do what we can, don't we?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I personally wouldn't choose to do it for my birds. Your vet is probably right that there's not much risk to the procedure, but I like to be as minimally invasive as possible in everything I do for my birds. My reasoning is that even if an escaped bird was microchipped, it's relatively unlikely that anyone who found it would know to have it checked for a chip. Priorities vary, of course, and I'm sure there are cases where it makes sense.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts