Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to spice up my tiels food, I'm tired of giving them only seeds and some fruits/veggies (and I'm sure they are too) so what snacks do y'all give them? What type of seed do you buy them? I currently give them mangoes, papayas, carrots, apples, and seeds that I get from walmart.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I try to feed a diet with a LOT of variety.

I rotate between three pellets - Zupreem Fruit xs, Harrison's Lifetime extra fine, and Tropican Lifetime granules. They like the Zupreem most.

They get one or two cockatiel Nutriberries each day, as well as a few teaspoons of Grreat Choice seed mix (Petsmart's brand)

I try to make sprouts a few days a week. I make my own mix of sunflower, safflower, buckwheat, whole wheat, white and red millet, canary seed, niger, flax, and a few others. I also sprout mung and adzuki beans.

They also get the occasional "chop" of fresh greens (kale, spinach, herbs, beet greens, etc.) and a few veggies (steamed yams, hot/bell peppers, carrot, snap peas, broccoli, corn, etc.). I try to focus on seasonal foods for variety.

To the chop I add Bob's Red Mill 10 grain hot cereal (whole grain hard red wheat, rye, triticale, oat bran, oats, corn, barley, soy beans, brown rice, millet, flaxseed). This soaks up the liquid and gives it a much nicer texture.

Treats are little bits of healthy foods we're having at the time. Tortilla chips, crackers, pasta, rice, bread, nuts, etc. :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey gets seeds, Zupreem fruity blend and a couple Nutriberries a day, with either RoudyBush crumble, RoudyBush mini or Harrisons's superfine mixed, for variety.

I offer fresh veggies although he doesn't seem to care for anything other than broccoli or carrots. I can trick him into spinach and kale if I chop them tiny and put them in with his food.

Fruit is not to be trusted in any way, shape or form. He seems to think it is going to attack, so I have taken a break from it. Some tiels like it, some don't. Definitely worth trying.

I give millet and other treats, but he is perfectly content with pellets being hand fed as treats, so he gets them as treats for the most part. If he wants to think the healthy stuff is treats even though he gets them in his daily food, who am I to shatter his illusion? :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Roudybush nibles and Zupreem fruit blend available free choice from two food dishes at all times. Parakeet seed mix offered a few times a week (millets, canary seed, oats and shelled sunflower). Boiled egg weekly to twice weekly, varied leaf vegetables and broccoli florets twice a week to daily, depending on the week. Sometimes I'll chop some apples or grapes but they only take a few nibbles. When they're in the outside aviary, they like to eat the clover blossoms and dandelions from the lawn.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Have you tried birdy bread? Basically, its bread chock full of veggies. My birds always went bananas for it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My birds get seed and Harrisons extra fine offered daily along with nutriberries. The new guys and Birdy all have pretty bad vitamin A deficiencies, so they each get a ball of millet topped with red palm oil and paprika daily. I also sometimes sprinkle paprika over their seed, which Birdy delights in. Birdy loves raspberries and Demon loves chia seed sprouts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feed mine Browns tropical mix for Cockatiels, plus they get a two bowls a day of any one or combination of the following; fresh made rice, mashed potato's, greens of some sort like broccoli or swash, plus they get treats of millet sprigs once a week. I have found my birds like the rice, mashed potato's and veggies much more than any fruits and really do not care at all for nutria berries much I ended up feeding those to my Amazon Parrots who loved them. They do eat some fruit and the Browns mix has seeds, fruit, and dry pellets mixed in it. Mine are in out side aviary and I have two modifies feeders I keep full of the browns all the time.

When they are nursing young I will stir in some baby formula with the mashed potato's and they eat it like its the last thing their ever going to get. I also add mashed hard boiled eggs and fine chicken beast when they are nursing. Probably over kill but we have had very healthy babies so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts