Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm new to the tiel world, and I have noticed that tiels make a HUGE selection of sounds...which is their real singing? Do they only imitate or do they have a song of their own? Anyone have a tape of it?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You know i have wondered this for a long time too!! :D If you taught a male absolutely nothing i know he would still whistle but i don't know what it would sound like. I do think they would chatter because that is the first noise that most males seem to make. I'll have a look on google and see if i can find anything.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I think its different for every tiel what kind of noises they make or hear in there enviroment, I am not sure if they actually have a song of there own, most males have what we here like to call monkey chatter, my Ollie does alot of imitating the sounds around him and what we say to him, his name pretty boy wolf whistle he also imitates the birds he hears outside and various other chatter I have no idea where it comes from Bea or someone with an older male tiel might be able to help you better with that as Ollie is only 4 months old and just really started going in the last month, you can also try somewhere like youtube there is lots of clips of cockatiels singing and imitating on there.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
They can't be all different, in the wild they will have different sounds for different purposes and they would have to be able to understand one another in the flock...

This link will take you to a short clip (which you have to open on your computer) which doesn't sound too mimicky: >>>Click Here<<<

Here is a link to an article about cockatiel communication: Click to read Article

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I mean different as to what sounds some make like some will ring like the telephone other don't some will talk some don't some whistle tunes that there taught etc etc ;)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I was replying to this. ;)

i think they all are different.
I wish i could find a clip of some wild tiels or something. Even they might imitate other wild birds but there would have to be a natural range of noises that is unique to cockatiels...

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
oh sorry ...hehe ;) I agree there has to be something unique between them if anyone finds something I would love to hear it.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Ziggy is too little and hasn't made real noises...baby just makes kissy noise when I come home or when we say good night...Other then that she makes these LONG tweeps! Go on youtube.com and type in cockatiel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts