Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am a new cockatiel mother. I rescued a cockatiel that landed on my shoulder in the middle of a family gathering at my husband's family farm. We tried to Post online to see if we could find the owners and got no response, so happily she is now mine. I have read a lot of information on how to care for her and she is really sweet and cuddly, but she hates her cage. My husband said the lady at the store where he bought her cage said to leave her in there for two days to acclimate her to it. It has been a week and I have yet to do it. She freaks out in there, only during the day. She is happiest on my shoulder. She has toys and everything I can think of, but I'm not sure if I should try the two day thing. I don't want her to lose trust in me. Any suggestions? Thank you!!!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
rescued 'tiel

It sounds like she chose you! :) Thank you for taking her in.
Does she go in her cage at all? Do you feed her in her cage? Maybe you could keep the door open and let her go in when she wants to eat. Maybe she'll get more used to it that way. You said "only during the day." Does she sleep in there? You could close the cage door while she's in there and see if she'd settle down. I wish I had some better advice. Good luck with her!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding! She has no problem sleeping in there, but during the day she wants to be with me all of the time. I'm worried about letting her out when I'm not there. I do leave her cage open for her when I'm home and have tried getting her to play a little more. She just seems to have no interest other than being directly on my shoulder.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
She was lost in the great outdoors for a while and has now found a new flockmate (you). So now she's anxious about not wanting to be separated from you. But you're going to need to leave her alone sometimes, and she needs to learn that she'll be safe when you're not there. You could try putting her in the cage for a few minutes at a time with you sitting close by so she's not being left alone. Let her out again after she settles down, so she can start learning what it's like to be calm in the cage. Having a piece of millet spray hanging in the cage might help her feel a little happier about being there.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
How long have you had her? What size cage do you have for her and do you have shreddable toys in there that she can busy herself with? Try putting lots of treats in the cage to encourage her to associate the cage with something positive and rewarding.

It's difficult with rescue birds because we have no idea of their past. She might've been cooped up in a tiny, bare cage before she came to you which may have given her some PTSD in relation to cages.

She sounds like such a sweetheart. It may just take some time for her to get used to the new cage. Best of luck with her and please keep us updated on how she's doing, and of course feel free to post about any other queries you have! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.