Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normal pied? Lutino something? I don't really care, just mildly curious. Plus I love hearing all you knowledgeable people talking about genetics and mutations. He's around 13 weeks old now, based on his behaviour I think he's a male.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
and a couple more. sorry guys, still getting a hang of the whole photo to the forum thing. any replies would be appreciated and I hope you're all having a great Easter weekend wherever you might be.

Edit: I also wanted to add that he seems to have a small bald spot behind his crest, I'm not sure if that means anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Gregory is a pearl pied. If he is infact a male he will loose the remaining pearls will be replaced with solid grey feathers. It may take quite a few moults being pied also.. If he's a girl he's staylooking pretty much the same

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I wanna say pearl pied but that's the strangest pearling I've ever seen. What were his parents?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Cassie and Roxy
I know right! I looked for a long time online to try to see a similar bird, googling every phrase I could think of, but nothing really looked like him enough for me to be sure. I'm not saying I think he's some super rare mutation, it's probably because he's so young. I remember the siblings in the cage seemed more 'uniformly coloured' to me, bigger patches of grey or yellow, without the 'dirty face' or little teensy bald spot that he has.

No idea on parents, he's a pet shop bird handraised by an old man that everyone in the area who knows cockatiels calls 'Gandalf' but I can't get in contact to ask. Even if I did he probably wouldn't remember now, even though Gregory Is young. Pet shop bird has a negative context to it, but this pet shop I know well, and I know they do buy from 'hobby breeders', who love their birds and raise them well. Anyway I guess no clues on that end.

He probably is a pearl pied (not that I know what I'm talking about) but interested to hear any other opinions. Thanks guys. Xx

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
I agree that it's an odd pearling pattern, but it probably is pearl and not something else. I get the impression that pearl is somewhat prone to disruption, so you get incomplete pearling or odd patterns sometimes.

There's an Australia-only mutation called silver spangle that can look somewhat like pearling. Your profile says you're in the US so it's probably not related to that. There are examples at http://members.optusnet.com.au/~geoffwatts1/Silver_Spangle_Cockatiels.html particularly the bird called Bojangles.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Gregory

Whatever he is, he's cute! :)
You mentioned a slight bald spot. I feel a bit like you; really don't know mutations. But my previous cockatiel was a female lutino and she had a bald spot all her life. I think it's a genetic defect that can happen with lutinos. Maybe some other mutations as well?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
You mentioned a slight bald spot. I feel a bit like you; really don't know mutations. But my previous cockatiel was a female lutino and she had a bald spot all her life. I think it's a genetic defect that can happen with lutinos. Maybe some other mutations as well?
Any mutation can have it. It's related to the inbreeding that was required to get lutino and pearl in the first place. Breeding a bird with a bald spot to a pied tends to help create stronger crests in future generations but if a baby has it they probably always will.

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
He's definitely not a lutino - he wouldn't have any grey feathers if he was. But if he's really a boy he could be split to lutino. Hens can't be split to sex-linked mutations, so if he turns out to be a girl she doesn't have the lutino gene.

Bald spots can occur with any mutation, including normal grey (which isn't a mutation). But it's a lot more common with lutinos than the other colors.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree that it's an odd pearling pattern, but it probably is pearl and not something else. I get the impression that pearl is somewhat prone to disruption, so you get incomplete pearling or odd patterns sometimes.

There's an Australia-only mutation called silver spangle that can look somewhat like pearling. Your profile says you're in the US so it's probably not related to that. There are examples at http://members.optusnet.com.au/~geoffwatts1/Silver_Spangle_Cockatiels.html particularly the bird called Bojangles.
Actually I am in Australia and in Brisbane, the same area as that breeder, so I suppose that might make the spangle thing more likely, it's all so interesting. It must have been the default option when I set my account up and I didn't see it. I'll go fix it. Thank you.

I didn't know that about the lutino, I thought that if they had some yellow on them it could be a possibility.

Thanks guys, this is fun.

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
A lutino is all yellow. If they have some yellow in places that ought to be grey, it's usually the pied mutation. Mims and Teela in my signature are lutinos, and Snowy is a whiteface lutino.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts