Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I suck at mutations, but I think I'll give your guys a shot :)

Because mom and dad are White faced Cinnamon and a Cinnamon, The cinnamon becomes dominant and most of your babies are cinnamon or cinnamon pied. I believe you also have cinnamon pearls. I can't remember how pearls are passed.

Anyone more experienced have more to add?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suck at mutations, but I think I'll give your guys a shot :)

Because mom and dad are White faced Cinnamon and a Cinnamon, The cinnamon becomes dominant and most of your babies are cinnamon or cinnamon pied. I believe you also have cinnamon pearls. I can't remember how pearls are passed.

Anyone more experienced have more to add?
Thank you, I pretty much suck at mutations too, I read and read and read and it's all whoosh straight over my head.

Is it true that if the baby looks like the parent, the baby is the opposite gender. One of my babies looks just like mum, does that mean it is male?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I suck at mutations too so this is just what I am guessing. More experienced members please correct me if i'm wrong!

From the first post:
1: Cinnamon pied
2: Cinnamon pearl
3, 4 & 5: Cinnamon

·
Registered
377 Posts
How many babies are there? It's hard to tell if the first baby is a Lutino (if so it will have red eyes) or the cinnamon heavy pied pictured later.

1 Lutino or the cinnamon heavy pied.
2 cinnamon Pearl pied (female)
3 cinnamon
4 cinnamon
5cinnamon
6 cinnamon
7 Lutino or heavy pied (is this the same as the one below it?)
8 cinnamon heavy pied
9 cinnamon heavy pied
10 cinnamon heavy pied (unless that's a shadow) and cinnamon Pearl pied
11 cinnamon Pearl
12 cinnamon pearl
13 cinnamon heavy pied and cinnamon Pearl
14 white face Ino (clearly split cinnamon and Pearl)
15 cinnamon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
sex linked genes are passed down to the opposite sex.

I have been struggling with mutation genetics too.

Sort of. Mothers pass down one copy to their sons, fathers pass down one copy to sons and daughters (but not every time). Females need one copy to be visual and cannot be split. Males need two copies to be visual and can be split.

·
Registered
377 Posts
After pics were removed
1) lutino if there are no dark spots and it has red eyes (female)(hard to tell in that light)
2)cinnamon Pearl pied (female)
3) cinnamon
4) cinnamon heavy pied
5) cinnamon heavy pied, cinnamon Pearl pied
6) cinnamon Pearl (female)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you, I wanted to keep at least two females because I lost a couple and my boys without females fight all the time. I would also like to keep the Lutino (??) she is the last hatched and I want to keep her as a house bird.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
The lutino and any pearls would be hens. I agree with SilverSage on her assessment of the mutations. This means that your male is split to pearl and lutino and that a crossover happened, allowing for the lutino hen. Although she's actually going to be lutino cinnamon, it's just going to be really hard to see the cinnamon due to the lutino gene. I'm not as good at crossovers and genetics are hard enough to understand by themselves without adding in all the crazy stuff.

% from all 1.0 (boys)
17.5% 1.0 natural cinnamon ADM.pied /opaline(pearl) blue(whiteface)
17.5% 1.0 natural cinnamon /opaline(pearl) ADM.pied blue(whiteface)
17.5% 1.0 natural cinnamon ADM.pied /ino blue(whiteface)
17.5% 1.0 natural cinnamon /ino ADM.pied blue(whiteface)
7.5% 1.0 natural cinnamon ADM.pied /opaline(pearl)-ino blue(whiteface)
7.5% 1.0 natural cinnamon /opaline(pearl)-ino ADM.pied blue(whiteface)
7.5% 1.0 natural cinnamon ADM.pied /blue(whiteface)
7.5% 1.0 natural cinnamon /ADM.pied blue(whiteface)
% from all 0.1 (girls)
17.5% 0.1 natural opaline(pearl) cinnamon ADM.pied /blue(whiteface)
17.5% 0.1 natural opaline(pearl) cinnamon /ADM.pied blue(whiteface)
7.5% 0.1 natural cinnamon ADM.pied /blue(whiteface)
7.5% 0.1 natural cinnamon /ADM.pied blue(whiteface)
17.5% 0.1 ino cinnamon ADM.pied /blue(whiteface)
17.5% 0.1 ino cinnamon /ADM.pied blue(whiteface)
7.5% 0.1 opaline(pearl) ino cinnamon ADM.pied /blue(whiteface)
7.5% 0.1 opaline(pearl) ino cinnamon /ADM.pied blue(whiteface)

But, that being said, this genetic calculator does show the different mutations you have ended up with. I honestly took a guess at the parents to get the results that you have gotten as I couldn't see their backs to tell exactly what they were. But for you to end up with non-pied babies, one of the parents isn't a pied.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After pics were removed
1) lutino if there are no dark spots and it has red eyes (female)(hard to tell in that light)
I had a good look at her again this morning, her eyes are black, in fact all their eyes are black. Are they just the pupils? And colour will show later? I really am not sure. So off to look at pics of Cockatiel eye colours. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
No, if the eyes are not red then it is not a Lutino. If there are no dark spots then you have a dark-eyed clear aka clear pied.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts