Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
A week or so ago, I posted to ask about whether my cockatiel's eggs are fertile. I still have no clue, and have only managed to have one glimpse at the eggs since. A picture is attached. The parents are excellent incubators, despite this being their first clutch. Lemonade is especially good with humidity haha. I really hope that at least a couple will hatch, but I know that first clutches aren't usually successful. Still hopeful though!
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows what colour the chicks may be (if any are hatched). The father, Cloudy, is grey and white, and the mother, Lemonade, is a yellow lutino. Some old pictures of them are also attached. :D
Many, many thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Candle the eggs with a flashlight, looking for vein structure and a heartbeat in a fertile healthy egg. They do appear to be good eggs as do the 4 in my cage. As for color if I wasn't misled should be something like 25% like mom, 25% like dad, and 50% a mix of the two with a possible full mutation of color, but that's just what has been told to me. I'm hoping I might get a solid white with pink beaks and feet, red eye from my whiteface bred to my lutino/pearl/pied, but I've heard it's a slim chance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Candle the eggs with a flashlight, looking for vein structure and a heartbeat in a fertile healthy egg. They do appear to be good eggs as do the 4 in my cage. As for color if I wasn't misled should be something like 25% like mom, 25% like dad, and 50% a mix of the two with a possible full mutation of color, but that's just what has been told to me. I'm hoping I might get a solid white with pink beaks and feet, red eye from my whiteface bred to my lutino/pearl/pied, but I've heard it's a slim chance.
Hello! This picture was taken about a week ago. I recently looked in the nest and it turns out that 3 appear to be DIS simply by viewing the colour of the eggs; 2 were patchy grey and one was yellowish. I candled one and it was definitely fertile, but most likely lifeless. Two of them still look viable, but I haven't had the chance to candle them as the parents are so diligent.
Thank you so much for the mutation facts. It's so interesting :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can you post a new picture of the eggs? If they appear to have life I'd definitely leave them. This is also my first clutch of bird eggs, but back in the day I bred bearded dragons, you'd be surprised what kind of eggs will hatch after hope is lost by us hoomans.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you post a new picture of the eggs? If they appear to have life I'd definitely leave them. This is also my first clutch of bird eggs, but back in the day I bred bearded dragons, you'd be surprised what kind of eggs will hatch after hope is lost by us hoomans.
I would, but someone is in the way :LOL: I'll post a picture if he ever gets off ahaha. I honestly don't think the three eggs are viable any longer, but the final two certainly are (if fertile). I haven't heard them pipping.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Here's my boy showing them off, they've pooped on a couple but so far still good, totally understand poppa not letting you admire, I had to get him to be a little bit defensive to see them. The one silver of egg I can see under your boy looks healthy, and I wouldn't necessarily panic over a bit of discoloration. If the egg blatantly dies and starts stinking or anything, of course remove it, but in my lizard days I had two eggs that were a brownish gray that still hatched two beauties after I thought hope was gone for them. The other thought I have about off colored eggs is chickens, they'll produce several colors in their eggs and nothing is wrong with them, but I've also never seen a blue or green egg from a parrot either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
View attachment 92995

Here's my boy showing them off, they've pooped on a couple but so far still good, totally understand poppa not letting you admire, I had to get him to be a little bit defensive to see them. The one silver of egg I can see under your boy looks healthy, and I wouldn't necessarily panic over a bit of discoloration. If the egg blatantly dies and starts stinking or anything, of course remove it, but in my lizard days I had two eggs that were a brownish gray that still hatched two beauties after I thought hope was gone for them. The other thought I have about off colored eggs is chickens, they'll produce several colors in their eggs and nothing is wrong with them, but I've also never seen a blue or green egg from a parrot either.
He's so sweet! Good luck on your eggs :) Thank you so much for the help and encouragement.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have caught up to ya! View attachment 93000
That is eggcelent news ahaha. Hopefully it all goes smoothly - I'd love to hear updates :)
I managed to candle mine last night and, as expected, only two are living. Incubation started 18-20 days ago, and I haven't seen any pips so far, but I'm not worried (yet). Both parents practically refuse to move unless hungry or need to bathe.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have caught up to ya! View attachment 93000
Hello! I have great news! The first chick has hatched! Should I remove the shell and the DIS eggs now? The father is doing an excellent job keeping it warm. The bedding has been pushed aside and now there is no bedding under the eggs or chick - how can I put bedding in there without disturbing the parents? Any other tips would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, this is my first clutch as well. I dont see any issue with at least removing the shell that hatched, the DIS eggs I would consider leaving till everyone is done hatching, but it may not hurt to go ahead and remove them. Congrats on the first chick, I still have at least a week before I'll see any hatching.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts