Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My whiteface lutino female and normal grey male pair, laid eggs 2weeks back.
Can anyone tell what color chick I can expect.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If that is exactly what you have and there are no splits all the birds should be normal grey.

A normal grey male with no splits is extremely rare in captivity outside Australia so I highly doubt that's actually what you have.

If you can post pictures of the parents our members can identify splits and give you a better idea of what the chicks will be.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Oooh that's the exciting part! I love finding out what mutations the chicks are. I have a normal grey and WF lutino pair like you, expecting all normal grey babies. But, surprise surprise, normal grey was split to cinnamon, lutino, and WF and the WF lutino was actually a WF lutino cinnamon pied! Got a bunch of mutations that are definitely NOT normal grey haha. If you post some pictures up of the parents we could help you out on figuring out what the babies might be!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey guys, how do you know if they are split by looking at them. Im finding the whole split to something very confusing.
I have a pearl grey female named xena, no background info. And im getting a baby heavy pied grey soon his name is stewy(hopefully a male) . Stewys mum is lutino and dad a pied grey. But all the babies r different and all pied, some are cinnamon, pearl and grey.
Btw is it a good pairing a pearl with a pied grey?
Hope i didnt high jack this post

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hey guys, how do you know if they are split by looking at them. Im finding the whole split to something very confusing.
I have a pearl grey female named xena, no background info. And im getting a baby heavy pied grey soon his name is stewy(hopefully a male) . Stewys mum is lutino and dad a pied grey. But all the babies r different and all pied, some are cinnamon, pearl and grey.
Btw is it a good pairing a pearl with a pied grey?
Hope i didnt high jack this post

Splits work like this:

Only males can be split to sex linked traits (lutino, cinnamon, pearl, SLYC).

Some birds exhibit signs of being split, with pearl there will be ghost pearls on the back, some cinnamon split males will have red irises, pied leaves tick marks and irregular colors to the beak nails and feet, whiteface and creamface can change the shape and color of a cheekpatch. Unfortunately lutino has no signs.

·
Registered
770 Posts
To get a pied baby both parents would have to be carrying the pied gene because it's autosomal recessive. So, mom is either split to pied or she could be a clear pied, which looks like it's the case since all babies are turning out pied. There is a chance however, that she could have all pied babies being split pied, but I think that chance would be very low depending on how many babies you have to base this info off of. Does she have red eyes? If so then she is lutino split to pied, if she has brown eyes then she is clear pied. That would mean that the pied baby if male, is split to lutino.

Since there are also cinnamon and pearl babies, that would mean that dad is split to cinnamon and pearl, if female is not either of those mutations. That means that all cinnamons and pearls are females. I'm not sure about this but I think males could be or could not be split to cinnamon and pearl, depending on which X the genes are located on and which ones the babies received from the male.

A pearl and a pied would give you normal grey babies, males split to pearl and all babies split to pied. If the pied male is split to pearl then you could get pearl babies and vice versa

Heres a really helpful site

http://www.internationalcockatielresource.com/cockatiel-genetics-101.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news one of the egg hatched today.. But it's just 17days old... I was assuming it will take atleast 18 days for the eggs to hatch. I haven't seen the chick yet.. Just the broken egg shell.. The parents are sitting on the chick not allowing me to see.
I will get the picture of the male, hope from that the mutation can be identified.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tnx for the great info.

Ganesh goodluck with the babies and congrats.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yeah hatch time varies from pair to pair, usually depending on location/environment. My pair's eggs hatch at 17 days too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This is the pic of my male. The second chick hatched today. Around the eye area of 2nd chick is completely black and for the 1st chick is normal skin color. Is this normal.. Is it just because they will grow into different color.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
This is the pic of my male. The second chick hatched today. Around the eye area of 2nd chick is completely black and for the 1st chick is normal skin color. Is this normal.. Is it just because they will grow into different color.
The chicks will develop at different rates, getting dark patches around the eye is normal when the chick is a normal grey especially.

Your male looks like a pearl, split whiteface, and possibly split pied going by his feet, beak and crest.

Pearl is a funny mutation, males that are pearls lose their pearling. His tail still has some mottled color to it suggesting he is full pearl and not split.

If you can include a picture of your hen, we can give you some indication if she is split to pied a common non-sex-linked recessive trait.

Being a whiteface lutino, she could be hiding other mutations too. They can be lutino pearl, lutino cinnamon, or even lutino pied. Using a blacklight could help you search for clues since sometimes its hard to make out feather patterns on an all white cockatiel.

http://www.justcockatiels.net/lutino.html

So far it looks like you will get some whiteface chicks of both sex and some pearl hens.

Males will be split pearl and split lutino but not visual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got the answer on mutation for breeding Grey Male and Whiteface lutino female. Now the chicks are 4 weeks old. I have 2 lutino with PINK eye and 1 grey.
So i guess the male was which i though Normal grey truned out to be lutino split.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts