Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bird Cockatiel Beak Organism Parrot

These 2 have bonded :) they are very interested in their box and he is preparing it! What babies do y'all think they will perishes? Thanks in advance!! (Male is the Lutino)
Bird Beak Toy Chicken Feather

·
Registered
768 Posts
If neither of them have splits, you would only get normal grey males split to pearl, lutino, and cinnamon, and you would only get lutino females. If the male is split to cinnamon and pearl, you could get either of those mutations as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If neither of them have splits, you would only get normal grey males split to pearl, lutino, and cinnamon, and you would only get lutino females. If the male is split to cinnamon and pearl, you could get either of those mutations as well.
Just a follow up! They hatched three babies and one is a lutino :) So, If I understand correctly, my little lutino is a female, correct? They haven't gotten much feathering, so I don't know if I got greys, cinnamons or pearls. I was just excited to see a little lutino and very happy they seem to be doing wonderful with parenting! I'm interested to see if Dad has any splits!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Congratulations! 😁 Yes, the lutino is a female. The others you'll have to wait and see as they get more feathers. Would I be able to see the chicks? If any of them are cinnamon, they're usually pretty easy to see once hatched. If not, that is totally understandable as well as some parents don't like you interfering. And yes, finding out the hidden splits are my favourite part! I have a clutch of three chicks as well, and all three are completely different mutations. Not only that but I found out both parents are split to whiteface because I got a whiteface chick, which I've never had before from this pair. It's so exciting! Here are my three right now:
Small animal food Rodent Recipe Fawn Dish

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congratulations! 😁 Yes, the lutino is a female. The others you'll have to wait and see as they get more feathers. Would I be able to see the chicks? If any of them are cinnamon, they're usually pretty easy to see once hatched. If not, that is totally understandable as well as some parents don't like you interfering. And yes, finding out the hidden splits are my favourite part! I have a clutch of three chicks as well, and all three are completely different mutations. Not only that but I found out both parents are split to whiteface because I got a whiteface chick, which I've never had before from this pair. It's so exciting! Here are my three right now: View attachment 96128
Oh my goodness, how cute! That's so awesome and it is so interesting finding a hidden splits. So, this just happened after they had already had some clutches? I'm trying to learn about how often (percentages) the probability is of getting different babies :) On to these babies, I snapped quick pics when I went to clean the box, but momma wasn't happy lol. So they aren't the best. But I've attached and it looks like 2 lutinos! What do you think? Not sure if the other is a grey or cinnamon.

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yes, this is their fourth clutch although technically none of their chicks from the third clutch ever made it. I knew the father was split to whiteface, but I always assumed the mother wasn’t so it was quite a surprise! Yes, it looks like you have two female lutinos there. The other chick isn’t a cinnamon as their eyes will look different so it’s either a grey, pearl, or pied. You’ll be able to tell as soon as it starts getting feathers though. That’s really neat that you got two lutinos though! 😁 🥰

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, this is their fourth clutch although technically none of their chicks from the third clutch ever made it. I knew the father was split to whiteface, but I always assumed the mother wasn’t so it was quite a surprise! Yes, it looks like you have two female lutinos there. The other chick isn’t a cinnamon as their eyes will look different so it’s either a grey, pearl, or pied. You’ll be able to tell as soon as it starts getting feathers though. That’s really neat that you got two lutinos though! 😁 🥰
Thanks so much for all the info! So, what's different about Cinnamons eyes? Just so I know what to look for next time and in general?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I greatly appreciate your info! I do have another question regarding a WF pair that produced WF , WF Pearl and WF Pied and then randomly a WF Lutino this last clutch. All babies have been DNA tested as males. Can you tell me if there a specific reason... I just want to understand. I haven't DNA tested the WF Lutino yet, he's little I know that dad is split to Lutino since we got the WF Lutino. I'm attaching some pics. Sally and zero are the parents. There are also pics of 3 of their chicks. The WF Lutino isn't pictured as he is still in the brooder. So, is there a way of knowing if they only produce males or can there be females? Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!!

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
Zero is a whiteface split to lutino, pied, and pearl. Sally is a whiteface pearl pied. With the recessive mutations (whiteface and pied), it varies as to how many males or females you get in a clutch. Sometimes there are clutches of all males or all females. The whiteface lutino will automatically be female though due to genetics. Also, any chicks that are not visually pied will be split to pied, and all males will be split to pearl. So in answer to your last question, yes, they can also produce females. After all, you did get the whiteface lutino and if you ever get any more whiteface Lutinos from this pair, they will all be females as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts