Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Hercules is almost 5 months old and I was wondering when or if he will start to talk or sing?

He whistles constantly in morning and then again in evening with little throughout the day from about 2 until 8.

Is there something that I can do to help. I am one of those people who just want him to be happy and healthy and not bothered about tricks etc.

He does prefer me to my partner and will climb off him to me anytime I am in the room.

Lately he only wants to climb to our shoulder. Nothing else will do. He gets annoyed when we don't let him. Is it safe for him on my shoulder both for him and me? He nibbles at my ear lobe, my hair, my glasses and recently has started eying my eyelashes.

Thanks everyone...

From my mobile communications network

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Usually they start to talk very early. Repeating phrases to them usually helps.

I let them on my shoulder for short periods if I am wearing a heavy hoodie or sweater since those nails can hurt after a while. Mine will nibble on my ears and try to play with whatever I have in front of me. They aren't usually content with just sitting. Or at least the boys never are anyway.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Not every bird is going to be able to talk/sing. Singing really isn't a thing in tiels, it's more they pick up whistles and repeat them. They can repeat songs as whistles too if they hear it enough. It's all about repetition. Playing or saying things to them over and over again will help them to repeat them back to you.

Shoulder sitting is fine. Mine loved my shoulder. A really good idea I saw was to make a toy necklace that you wear while they're sitting on you so that they have something to do besides chew on you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts