Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pic in the brooder was taken on sept 19, the other pix were taken yesterday sept 25... 6 days apart... boy have they grown!! The lutino hen is turning out to be a stunning lutino pearl, the yellow headed pied male has the most unique head markings and the little pearl is another little male cutie!! I did lose 2 babies from this clutch, at 9 days old I opened the nest to find my little whiteface lutino girl had passed thru the night and then again at 15 days old another lutino girl started seizing and died within a few hours, I had no idea why. Until the next day, I clean my nest box every day but because I am short I just reach in and scoop out the shavings and replace them, I didn't give the box a good look over. For some reason this day I stretched up and looked into the box, imagine my horror when I found all kinds of black mold growing up the sides!! I immediately pulled my babies and got them into a warm brooder. I called all the stores in the area trying to find a new box but none were available so I have been handfeeding since, which is ok I planned on hand feeding from 3 weeks on anyhow. I had just bought a new bag of aspen shavings a few days before I lost the 1st baby so am not sure if that's how the mold got in my box or not, but will not use them again! The box has been trashed and I am looking into PVC boxes for next time. It has been very hot and humid here and my parents were drinking massive amounts of water so the chicks poops were quite wet so that didn't help either.... but since I pulled these babies they have done extremely well and I am 99% sure it was the mold that killed the other two. So heartbreaking to lose two healthy babies for such a stupid reason :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
So sorry to hear about the deaths of the two chicks. :( Yaaaay for having such big wiggly survivors :D They sure look cute! Thanks for keeping us posted on their growth!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss
:( however I strongly advise against anything other than a wooden box as plastics will be even worse with mold, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry for your loss
:( however I strongly advise against anything other than a wooden box as plastics will be even worse with mold, etc.

Oh a breeder in Australia showed me how to make a box from a section of large PVC pipe with a plywood top and bottom... but maybe I will just buy a new ( or make one) plywood box. I'm just scared to lose more babies. I will for sure be more vigilant for mold!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Oh I see! That is not what I was picturing AT ALL.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would love to see a picture :) my boxes are a pain in the neck to clean!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Mold is the bane of any bird keepers existence. I'll be honest, I used pine for most of my breeding seasons. The one time I used aspen, I lost quite a few babies.

·
Registered
377 Posts
That's interesting. I'm using aspen this year because I can no longer get the coarse pine shavings, only the fine ones, and I lost a baby this spring because he ate the "medium" shavings . I'll keep a special eye on the mold issue!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mold is the bane of any bird keepers existence. I'll be honest, I used pine for most of my breeding seasons. The one time I used aspen, I lost quite a few babies.
I have always used aspen, but from now on will be using the carefresh type paper bedding, it's more expensive but if I don't loose babies then I'm all for it.

That's interesting. I'm using aspen this year because I can no longer get the coarse pine shavings, only the fine ones, and I lost a baby this spring because he ate the "medium" shavings . I'll keep a special eye on the mold issue!

I switch my babies onto old fashioned rolled oats for bedding when they start nibbling at it. I clean the brooder once a day but the oats clump like cat litter with the poos so I can just pick them out thru the day! And if they eat the oats it's no problem.

·
Registered
377 Posts
That's a fantastic idea!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts