Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

Sunny learned to talk a few months ago. He can use some things in context like "hello". There are certain things that will make him talk - the latest being a black disc off a cheese carton - I washed before I gave it to him.

Today I was playing with him and putting the disc between us and saying "Where's Sunny?" Then "peek-a-boo" (which is one of his favourite words). He joined in at first then I said "Where's Sunny?" and he answered "peek-a-boo" all by himself quite a few times. I'm so proud of him. :grey tiel:

Is there anything else I can do to help him with his talking and using words in context?

Also when he talks he sometimes does heart-shaped wings and can peck. Is a timeout the best way to stop that? Is the cage the best place for a timeout? How long should I give him?

Thanks for all the help

Carol

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Just keep doing what you're doing. :) Birds are smart and can learn context on their own most of the time.

However, I wouldn't put him in timeout for doing heartwings. He's just happy! That's something cocks will do frequently, and the pecking probably just means he doesn't want his happy interrupted ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stephanie. I can usually tell when he's going to peck so maybe I should just back off when he does that and let him enjoy himself.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Some words and phrases I try to only use when I want Joey to use them, such as 'hello' only when walking through the door. I say water when I am getting his water. I tell him 'be right back' when I will, and 'see you in a bit' when I am leaving for work, or leaving for a while. Mom's little guy learned both of those, in context. If someone gets his food or water dish out, and walks off, he will call out 'be right back!' otherwise, he will call out 'see you in a bit!'. Joey says 'good morning' all day and evening, but we only say it back in the mornings.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for those examples Tama. I'II try them out. I think he wants to learn more but hasn't decided what he next phrase will be. It's so amazing how smart they are :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
It isn't surefire, but in a way I like to think reinforcing the word with the thing, action or time you want it associated with can help them make the connection.

I love it when they are trying to master a new word. It is fun to try to decode it at first before it becomes clear.

·
Registered
786 Posts
With Milo, I say "give a kiss"every time I kiss him. Now when I come up to his cage, or I am holding him, he says "give a kiss" and he kisses me, kissing noise also. He also calls the dog, whistling just like I do, and says "come on Zoey" :p
Repetition helps!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I have several cockatiels and Archie, the GCC, who will say 'night night' as soon as I turn the lights out for the night. It's the only time they say it :) There's that and the fact I say 'hello birdy' when I walk into the room that makes them usually speak in context. They may not seem like much, but they are very very smart :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts