Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have glass shower doors in a frame and there is space between the top of the doors and ceiling so that's Cosmo's spot for when we take a shower. I still can't get him to fully bath himself, but he has taken the cue to preen himself when he sees me washing my hair. He almost made me late for work one day because he was so cute and enjoying the splash of the shower on my hand/arm. This is the only time he will let me give him head scritches.
Well now Cosmo is a full blown shower addict. As soon as he hears us turn on the shower when he is in his cage he'll start chirping and calling as if he is trying to say "HEY! I wanna shower too!"
It's so cute I wanted to share with you guys. Also does anyone know where I can find a cheap suction cup shower perch for him? Also how can I get him to fully bathe, he only takes a cue when he sees me washing my hair. But he only preens and doesn't really do it when the water is actually on him.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
For shower perches don't let their nostrils go under the heavy spray of the shower or it can go into their lungs. You just want the gentler sprays of the shower to get their feathers. Make sure the water isn't too hot.

Here is where you can find some cheaper shower perches:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22328

My safe bird store has pretty cheap perches too and a wide selection.
http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/PERCHES-SHOWER_PERCHES.html
Shipping costs might be different between the two stores.

I got Kiwi to bathe by putting her in front of a mirror because she liked her reflection. We have a wide mirror in the bathroom and I put her on a towel to keep the water from going everywhere. I used a little tissue (without lotion) soaked in water to drip on her, but you can also use a small washcloth. It took a few tries over the course of a week to get her to bathe when I first got Kiwi. I dripped the water around the towel first to simulate rain falling and after a few minutes Kiwi became interested in bathing. Make sure the water isn't too hot when you bathe them!

I have a video of Kiwi's first bath using that method here.
http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/K...130528_193916_zps55d7589b.mp4.html?sort=3&o=2

·
Registered
648 Posts
That video of kiwi was so cute!!

Lots of birds like all different kinds of baths. One of mine likes showers and spray bottles. The other likes bowls of water to bathe in, she won't bathe properly in the shower she just sits there and closes her eyes. Some like to sit in sinks with a towel on the bottom and have water dribble on them from the tap. Try lots of things! You'll get there!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aww Kiwi is adorbs! I wish Cosmo would let me give him lovins like kiwi does in that one video. Was she hand fed? Cosmo just recently let me give him kisses on his forehead, occasionally he'll gripe about it though :(

That is a good idea with the cotton ball/wash cloth I haven't tried that yet. He gets really sketchy about going on low flat surfaces though. He doesn't like being put in the sink or onto a plate with water. The spray bottle was messy.
He really likes the spray from the water and hanging out on top of the shower doors. Ever since our first failed attempt where he got water on his nostrils, I'm super careful and use my hand to bounce the water off onto his back. He gets super relaxed sticks his head up and closes his eyes and let's me touch the back of his head. I caught him yawning a few times when he was on the door. Why would he do that? You think it was too humid for him? I don't like hot showers so it's always warm/lukewarm.
Btw that was cute you hummed to kiwi during her bath. I always sing "Singing in the rain" to Cosmo when we take a shower. At least he enjoys my horrible singing;-)
Here is a cute picture of Cosmo enjoying the shower

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
cosmos so cute! Have you put a bowl of water in his cage like hanging on the side of his cage to see if he'll do it that way? That's the only way buttercup will properly bathe. Bowls anywhere else won't do, she must be in her house. With the door closed. And no one too close to her!
Has he ever fallen off of there? Mine go to sleep and then try to move and slip on the wet perch half asleep lol I've caught them so many times in mid-air mid-shower

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Aww thanks! Kiwi was really happy you all thought she was cute!! x3

Kiwi was a pet store bird. She didn't have any bands or medical records so she could have been hand fed I'm not sure? She really hated hands and would bite a lot when I got her. She slowly warmed up though and became super cuddly. I think all 'tiels become very loving birds once they warm up to you and bond. :)

Aw that's so sweet that Cosmo lets you give him kisses on the forehead! Kiwi hates when I do that, I have to like sneak those in when I'm giving her scritches. :lol: You could probably try it on the door up there or a shower perch. I think he is so relaxed that he's about to fall asleep or maybe he is adjusting his crop? I love that picture! My brother falls asleep in the shower sometimes too, he said he falls asleep because of the humidity or the hot shower.

Our 'tiels think we're the best singers in the world (thankfully). My family hates it when I start singing a song and then replace some of the words with "Kiwi" to get her to sing. Kiwi loves it when I sing or hum, she'll sing along or chirp. It helps her relax so I was humming for a really long time before I started filming so she wouldn't fly off. :lol:

·
Registered
648 Posts
In a way you're lucky kiwi isn't too kissy! Darla loves kisses a little too much she spends most of her day shoving her beak and face against my mouth. Really awkward if you're talking or eating lol

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hehe Kiwi hates getting kisses, but she loves giving them. :)
She likes to preen my eyelashes. Most of the time instead of preening she pinches my eyes though. If I'm not careful she'll try and stick her little beak up my nose when she gets really excited (the little weirdo). She did that when I was on the phone one time cause she wanted to play, it is super awkward! I laughed, so I my grandma. Poor Kiwi almost got sneezed out. >.<

1 - 9 of 9 Posts