Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my cockatiel was just chilling on my shoulder preening herself today and a tailfeather drifted onto my lap. she's not a feather picker or anything and I recently got bloodwork done that told us she was perfectly healthy, so the initial losing of a tailfeather didn't concern me at all. she's lost one or two smaller base feathers, but this was her second longest one.

i noticed theres this kind of wet squishy end on it where it would have been attached. i avent seen too many large feathers lost before so i'm not sure what "average" feathers look like. is this a concern? do regularly lost feathers have little gross wet ends on them or is it a sign of plucking? she does preen a lot but there hasn't been any signs of plucking or mutilation at all. i do have a little collection of small feathers she's lost since i got her in february though.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
A picture of the end would help. It may have been a blood feather that got plucked out by accident.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

the end was more clear than the colour it is now, its pretty much dried up now but it was wet and a little sticky i think before.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Yeah, that's a feather that's almost finished developing but got knocked out before it could completely finish. It happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts