Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well... yesterday I found somethng really exciting... and I´m sure you already know by now.. hehe.. but let me tell you the weird part of the story...

Tuesday night I over filled the food/water of the tiels because I had to run in the morning and didn´t wanted to leave them like that in case I run out late.. which I did that day... I had a ton to do and kinda felt I was goint to be late .. LOL... so that was that...

wednesday morning I rushed to fill the water again.. the food was fine so I kinda thanked me for doing that the previous night... and I ran off...

wednesday when I went to feed them in the afternoon I got a huge surprise within the surprise... there were TWO lil eggies there!!!

yes, TWO.. how did I missed them?.. I kinda have an explanation for one... one could´ve been just layed after I left in the morning... but the other one??!!.. how did I missed it?... ok perhaps when I went int he night to check and feed I just didn´t see it as I didn´t turn on the lights.. but in the morning?? was I in such a hurry I didn´t payed attention?.. and even so that could explain one egg?.. but the other one had to be layed on monday so there were two by wednesday... so weird...

anyway.. there is only one by now... today in the morning one of the eggs was half eaten... I think it was Cotton... as Maui had layed last year.. and he´s a newbie...

let´s see how it turns this time around... ;)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Sometimes the eggs are not laid that far apart...not sure how you missed them though. As far as eating it, it's a sign that they're needing those nutrients from what I know. Are you going to take out the one so the pair can be by themselves? (if you're breeding)?

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Do you have a box up now? I would make sure only the pair of lovebirds :p are in the cage together. Hope you get some babies :) Oh wait you only have two tiels right? your number of tiels still says 3.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOl... yeah.. they are on their own.. LOL... haven´t seen them actually mate... they have this nest thing Maui uses... I tried the nestbox thing and she wouldn´t she´d just stayed in the floor with her egies so I used a big dish thingy and she used it since day one last year... I do plan getting the box up again and see if this time she uses it...

oh, and the tiel number.. haven´t changed that.. oops...

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. I would wait put the box up as you just may not have seen them mating.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when Maui mated RB Jack I saw them mate about 2-3 times and that was it... two eggs had babies...

the thing is I´m going out on vacation from tomorrow and until the 20th... so I have to leave it all set up... somy mom just checks on them

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
If she's laying now you should hang the box! If you don't and she lays on the floor she likely won't leave them unless you move them to the box. The box needs to be up so that the male can go in and make sure it's OK for her. Once he determines that it is, he will call her in. Good Luck!

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
YAY! I hope they hatch and you get some fluff balls (even a couple of more eggs too) - got my fingers crossed for you. :D

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well.. I just got back from my "vacations"... Maui is sitting on three eggs... there were four but one is broken... I´ve yet have to candle them and see where we´re at...

if ONE hatches.. I´ll as happy as can be.... ;)

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
YAY congrats, lots and lots and lots of good luck to you too! :D

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
since i got back from "vacations" and waited for the eggs to hatch any day soon but no.. no babies yet.. and way too past now.. there were 5... now they are on 8... the original 5 plus 3 new ones... i haven´t candled nor removed any as
I didn´t marked them and don´t want to remove a new clear one instead of an older unfertile ones...

Maui has been pushing aside 2 eggs now three.. perhaps she knows they are not viable.. as it doesn´t matter how many times I cuddle them together... a few minutes later they are pushed again...although not sure the same ones.... so i desisted on that

sunday they laid their 7th and tuesday their 8th... so we´ll see tomorrow... hoep not any more.. so confusing to determine which ones are good and which ones aren´t...

another good note...

the budgies had a nestbox up since i left.. but no moves... until sunday when they laid their 1st and tuesday their 2nd...

they were so funny... male was so ready... female in full breeding mode.. when she leaned... and he tried putting one foot on top of her.. she was like "what are you doing...what is wrong with you?"... haha... and a few times when he almost managed to get on top.. they fell off the perch.. LOl.... now they aqre doing good... really good... sure have improved their methods.. LOL...

so today wednesday 6th of may 2009...

tiels 8 eggs... (3 probable)
budgies 2 eggs

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Maui has been pushing aside 2 eggs now three.. perhaps she knows they are not viable.. as it doesn´t matter how many times I cuddle them together... a few minutes later they are pushed again
It's probably safe to remove the eggs that the parents are rejecting. They're probably the old expired eggs, and in any case these eggs aren't being sat on so they don't have a future. Buster and Shodu had an egg that died when it was about a week old and they started pushing it off to the side right about the time it was due to hatch. I put it back a few times but they always pushed it right back out. They knew it was no good!

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Lol, funny little budgies.

Hope you get some fluff balls from the eggies!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well... so far so good... still looks like 8 is the magic number.. LOL... I "sunned" them (yeah a made up word as for candling but with the sun :p)... and two or 3 had irregular more like diagonal darker parts.. so I think they got cold and died... a couple more seem with a bit of a darker opaque side... hopefully babies... and the rest still seems clear... I´m not sure which ones are the new ones and which ones the oldest.. so perhaps the potential darker baby ones are dead too... I´ll give 20 more days since this past tuesday... and see what happens...

I do know for sure at least 4 or 5 are not going to hatch as they are past 30 soemthing days...

budgies had a 3rd this thusrday... and I assume a 4rth saturday.. I´m not sure... because mom won´t move to let me see...she´s on them all the time and won´t move for anything.. so I rather not stress her and leave her alone... I´ll get a glimpse whenever she goes out to potty and I´m there "stalking".. hehe...

budgie dad is co cute... he feed his lady.. alerts her when I´m getting closer...tries to be a toughie.. and he actually imitates the tiel noises/songs but in a cuter softer way...aww... hope he keeps those instead of the ack ack ack...:p

tiel dad... is well... he couldn´t care less.. doesn´t feeds.. sits on eggs... he just want a part in the fun...:rolleyes:..

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
I didn´t marked them and don´t want to remove a new clear one instead of an older unfertile ones...
------------------------------

OK...you can ususally tell at a glance if they are fertile or not after a week. If the eggs have a very slight pinkish cast they are infertile. If the shells have a bright hard white color they are fertile.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts