Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cockatiel that had been sick for a while, he was on antibiotics, which actually made him sicker for a short time. He seems to be all better now, but he's very light compared to what he was before. I don't know what his pre-sick wieght was, but he's only at 82 grams now...and is a rather large tiel.
My question is this: I've noticed that he has been throwing his wings out when he's on my hand or shoulder as if trying to balance. But only when there is a "breeze" of some sort. Is this something he would do because he's so much lighter, or could there be another problem?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I don't think it is anything to with his weight or anything else:D I wouldn't worry, some cockateils just do some wierd things:) LOL!!
Glad he is better now! :D

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Spike is 82 grams and he throws his wings out to some times. Iam glad he is all better now. But if you are really worried you can always take him in for a check up.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
If you catch him and gently feel his tummy you will get a good idea if 82g is an ok weight for him. You should be able to feel his keel bone (it runs all down their front) but it shouldn't be like a razor, there should be some padding around it. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah...I know he's underweight..because of the keel bone. It felt like a razor when I took him to the vet...and he was down to 82 grams then...the vet said that 90 would be about right for him. I weighed him today, and he's up to 83...not sure if that was just food or not though...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's coming right after Christmas. I'm going to take all three of them in for check ups and stuff...make sure they're doing OK. I've had some minor concerns since Buddy was sick...
He's developing quite the personality now though! Which actually makes me suspect that he may have been sick when I got him. I dunno for sure though...either way, it's wonderful to see him actually PLAY with his toys, and singing up a storm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts