Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a cocktiel for about 2 years now. He's a stray that I found so I'm not entirely sure how old he (she?) is.

He started a new behavior that I haven't seen before. After I have him out for a while, I put him back in his cage and for about 10 minutes he makes sort of a deep squeaking noise and bobs his head. The only other time I hear him make this noise is when he's trying to get his favorite toy to scratch the back of his head.

I've been learning his mannerisms for a while now (my first bird :D) but this is a new one. Could someone tell me what this is?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I'm not familiar with it, but hopefully someone else can help! :D It sounds like a begging-for-affection type noise if he also makes it at his favourite toy.

Welcome to the forums by the way! :thumbu:

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
That does sound like classic begging. Maybe he's not ready to go back in just yet. Considering it occurs as you are putting him back in his cage after having him out. I would think that is what it is.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My cockatiel does the same thing when I put her back in the cage. I figure it's the same reason, too - that she is just not ready to go back in yet! Other times, she'll go right in and straight to her food bowl or the top perch and ignore me. That's why I think she means she's not ready to go back when she looks at me with her head bobbing and squeaking/grinding noises to me. :) Welcome to the forum, by the way. And I think that's so sweet that you rescued your lil tiel and seem to love him so!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Nice people here in this forum.

The bird was walking around the parking lot where my girlfriend works and she was able to get him to step up on a branch and bring him inside. He alternated between drinking and sleeping for a while. I had wanted a bird for a while so I took him when we couldn't find any 'lost' postings or anything online that matched his description.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well, it was very sweet of her and you to get the lil fella. Sounds like he is in a very good home! :) I agree - it's a great forum. Everyone here is so nice and helpful - it's by far the best I've ever seen!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts