Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently got a baby cockatiel (Poppy) with a severely deformed beak. It is split down the middle on the bottom, the top is overgrown, and she has scissor beak. She is very sweet and has already started bonding with me. I noticed while she was preening she has long flexible pin feathers. The has trouble preening so she has accidentally pulled a few out, and when I look at them or break them apart, it is like string on the inside. She is active and curious, eating and drinking and her poops are fairly normal. She does seem a bit thin so I have been giving her a bit of Exact baby bird formula, which she loves. I just never seen anything like this. I'm really hoping I don't have a case of beak and feather on my hands. She does have a vet appointment on Saturday. IMG_20181003_213418175_1538753035956.jpg Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks normal to me. I’ve raised my baby after incubating the eggs. I’ve seen all the cycles so far when it comes to the feathers. Looks like it’s the coating (looks like plastic tubes) that cover new feathers. Seeing those less and less as I handle my baby.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

Thank you for rescuing this gorgeous 'tiel, Poppy sounds like a sweetie. She is very cute despite her ailments. Do you have any idea of her age at all?

I am a bit concerned about the possibility of beak and feather disease, but there's always a chance it may not be that. Hope all goes well at the vet and you find an answer, please be sure to keep us updated about her and let us know how she is doing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts