Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

All the advice I've gotten so far has been extremely helpful but today I'm in desperate need of some more help... Cas was hand raised and he loves people. Normally... But all of a sudden he has taken a great dislike to me! He is about a year old and he started becoming very bitey when he's on the table or desk. The vet said it was 'ground aggression' or something and that it was hormonal and will pass. He loves my boyfriend and will still let him touch him and give him head scratches but I can't even touch him besides 'up up.' He will bite me immediately. I started clicker training him and he can touch the blue tip of the stick and so I've been trying to get him re-used to my hands with no such luck. He does this thing where he charges my hand for no apparent reason, I will be on my laptop and he will be on the table and then he will charge. He has even done it to my and my boyfriends faces after he has climbed up onto our chest. The minute he bites I put him on the floor (I live in a little flat and it's just us) or on his perch or in his cage. It's been going on for a couple of months and I'm at my wits end!! I love him so much I wish I knew what to do. He will let everyone else give him head scratches but he seems to have this serious adversion to me. Please can you help? Any advice would be appreciated. He's my first bird and I feel clueless. He used to be so friendly and sweet to me, I spend loads of time with him and I can't understand this behavior.

PS other strange behaviors include: weird tail wiggling/ rubbing when he is in his food bowl, making a 'nest' (he's male), spending more and more time on the floor of his cage.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Well, for one, that "tail wiggling" sounds a lot like masturbaition to me.

Some birds pick a special person that they really love. It sounds like he picked your boyfriend. It doesn't mean that he doesn't love you anymore. He still does! You are very much a part of his flock. But it appears his hormones have gotten out of control.

I recommend starting him on hormone control:
http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
making a 'nest' (he's male),
That doesn't matter in tiels. The males actually prepare the nests for the hens. Definitely sounds like hormones.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I agree, sounds like raging hormones to me:p It will be passing soon, and he will be your little love once again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts