Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cockatiel has seemed a bit off lately (always wants to be in the dark, less vocalization, ect) and I noticed this odd thing he was doing with his beak today. I have attached a link to a video of what he's doing on the bottom of this post.

He doesn't seem to be grinding his beak but more like something is bothering him?

A few weeks ago my vet had suggested wrapping a stalk of millet in a piece of paper so he would have something to chew and play with (as he always seems bored but is scared of new things/toys). I was watching him and all of the sudden he seemed like either he was choking on a piece of it or got hurt (maybe a paper cut?). Luckily I was watching him and was able to help out and he seemed fine afterwards. I'm not sure if this is related to this but thought I should mention it.

I'm not sure if this is a weird behavior but I've never seen him do this before so I wanted to see if anyone could let me know if this is normal or not. He seemed to be biting at something at the end of the video but I think it was just a piece of a tissue, not sure if it came out of his mouth or not though.

Some other background information:

He is an 8 year old male cockatiel. He's currently on hydroxine and metacam but has been on them for awhile now.

Thanks in advance!

Here is the video.

·
Registered
246 Posts
He just looks like he's tasting something. I would try newspaper or card instead of tissue to chew as this shreds rather than clogs.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I thought I saw something in his mouth so I think he is just playing with a tiny piece of paper he took off. Though he could be eating it? My 'tiel gets that kind of excited look on her face when she is having a lot of fun. The beak motion is chewing or eating. It looked like he was chewing something then tasted it for a second, before pushing it back to the tip of his beak to play with it. Make sure he is not eating it though because it could impact his crop also paper can have a few chemicals in it that would be better off not ingested. When my pants go through the dryer they'll pill up with fuzz balls sometimes. My 'tiel likes to try and eat those little fuzz balls so I always have to watch out cause they could impact her crop too. ><

1 - 3 of 3 Posts